New dive boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for some new dive boots. I have been using a pair of Akona 3mm regular neoprene boots since 2005 and they have been fine. They are a little beet up but I would like something with a hard sole, more support when walking and warmer. As I do more dives at 90ft my feet get cold after 25 min or so. I am diving a 7ml Bare Velocity and love it.

Here are my needs...
1. I want something warmer and hard sole
2. they should not take forever to dry... My buddy's boots are still damp after months.
3. I am looking at getting dry suit this year is there a boot I could use for both? even if it meet wearing neoprene socks when diving wet?

Amazon.com : NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks : Neoprene Socks : Sports & Outdoors
I use these with whatever drysuit overboot you will be using. Go to DRiS, they have a bunch of overboots for you to try. Your buddy is clearly doing something wrong, no boot should take more than about 36 hours to dry, if it takes longer it isn't being cared for properly, hell my wetsuits are dry faster than that, they just need air. You can also do what a lot of cave divers are starting to do and buy the neoprene socks, then buy regular dive booties that fit over them, helps keep air out of your feet, but they're rather expensive.

I'd wait until your drysuit purchase though since they will generally come with overboots if you order it with socks, but DRiS is really your friend here as they have quite a bit of drysuit experience and will really be able to guide you

Some are narrow, some are wider, some are way off on the sizing. You should go to a LDS and try them on. Ordering them online will almost guarantee you sending them back at least once.

I do my cold water diving in a Scuba Pro 5mm, and use a 2-3mm neo sock most of the time. I have slightly wide feet and these work.
I prefer a stiffer sole, but most stiff-sole wet boots I've found are very narrow.

Amazon.com : NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks : Neoprene Socks : Sports & Outdoors
I use these with whatever drysuit overboot you will be using. Go to DRiS, they have a bunch of overboots for you to try. Your buddy is clearly doing something wrong, no boot should take more than about 36 hours to dry, if it takes longer it isn't being cared for properly, hell my wetsuits are dry faster than that, they just need air. You can also do what a lot of cave divers are starting to do and buy the neoprene socks, then buy regular dive booties that fit over them, helps keep air out of your feet, but they're rather expensive.

I'd wait until your drysuit purchase though since they will generally come with overboots if you order it with socks, but DRiS is really your friend here as they have quite a bit of drysuit experience and will really be able to guide you

Yes, we are hearing this idea from more and more of our scuba customers. They have very good success wearing a 3 or 5 mm neoprene sock under their dive boot. the extra layer of neoprene eliminates water flow and provides better insulation and more comfort. Your feet will be much warmer.

Yamamoto Freedive Socks | MAKO Spearguns

MYFS-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom