Why don't wetsuits have a zip fly for peeing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, Mr. Obvious here... the advantages would be, er, obvious. The objections may be obvious, too:

- seam would let cold water into a sensitive area
- opening it in cold water would cause a lot of heat loss (and serious shrinkage :wink:
- Captain Midnite will refuse to make an appearance in cold water
- re-zipping with gloves could be difficult and potentially painful
- not to mention the danger of dangling barracuda bait!

Or maybe the real reasons are:
- tradition: Real Men pee in their suits (or hold it)
- cost. Zips are labor-intensive, I suppose Expensive custom suits have ez access zips on sleeves and legs. If you pay for them.

Still, the advantages on the boat and shore would be worth the cost, especially for many men over 50 years old, IMO. (Note: "BPH" isn't some new type of scuba gear.)

Ready for a schooling...
-Don

PS I apologize for the gender-normative nature of this post. The question is still relevant for women, with appropriate modifications.

Some wetsuits do have relief zippers. It is an optional extra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Some wetsuits do have relief zippers. It is an optional extra.
Ignorance born of rental-only experience here... thanks!

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 09:41 AM ----------

A relief zip may be a "must-have" when I buy a 5mm suit. I guess it only makes sense on a full suit, or a farmer john with only a jacket, not the combo with a shorty I've used thus far.

Any off-the-rack suits offer that useful feature, or only fully custom ($$) suits?

Fully custom suits aren't as expensive as you'd think if you look for a good manufacturer.

However, I think that you'll find it to be much less useful and much more of a hassle than you think.

Another option: a lot of guys with nice semi dry wetsuits use drysuit style p valves. Another option is to run some tubing down your leg and out your ankle and use a condom catheter (or she-p, depending on your plumbing configuration).

Thanks for asking what I've been wanting to. Wonder if anybody installs them on wetsuits you already have?

Thanks for asking what I've been wanting to. Wonder if anybody installs them on wetsuits you already have?

Just wear your rear zip wetsuit backwards... Zipper in the front.... Simple....

Y'all make things way to complicated....

Of course the bottom of the zipper may be a little high for all but the manliest men....

Jim

so, what do you wear under your wet suit, and how do you deal with that?

Never mind, I don't really want to know.....

Of course the bottom of the zipper may be a little high for all but the manliest men....
Jim
There's an old ice-fishing saying: "When it's this cold, all men are created equal."

There's a better solution. Front zip wetsuits. It must have been a sadist who created the back zip wetsuit/drysuit.

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities These guys make custom wetsuits in Florida. Their top end suits are still cheaper than several "off the rack" brands like scubapro.

Also, I've found that a "skin" makes it WAY easier to don and doff a thick neoprene wetsuit (like my scubapro 5/7). Night and day difference. The skin is also great for warm water diving to protect from jellies and other unpleasantness. I'm wearing the skin only in my photo to the left. I think that photo was from winch hole in key largo in the summer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom