DrySuit hood Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobCSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Purchased a used drysuit from a friend, I need a new hood anyway. Advantages of a Drysuit hood over Hood with bib and tucking into Drysuit, or ...vice versa. Any preferences? I'm considering the Waterproof 5mm or Bare 5or7mm?

If you tuck your bib into your neck seal, you'll be diving an expensive, poorly insulating wetsuit.

My drysuit has a 3mm collar that covers the neck seal area. I preferred the standard drysuit hood that is long enough to cover my neck to its base. I have not felt a chill in the neck area. I just make sure the hood lays flat on the neck seal and the drysuit collar lays flat against the hood base. I did not like the collared drysuit hood because it added too much material behind my neck when diving in trim.

I've used both a hood with no/minimal bib and one with a pretty decent bib and prefer one with a minimal or no bib. With my DUI TLS350 suit there was a pretty big area that I could tuck the bib in, but with my latest suit (Santi E.Lite) there is much less room. I would try your current hood for a dive to see how it works then buy a new hood based on that.

THE DUI suit has an area to tuck the bib into, not into the neck seal.

I have a DUI FLX Extreme with the same "tuck area" but have never used it with my hood. I use a Waterproof 5mm hood with the DUI suit and just make sure the bib is flat against the suit after I put it on, but I don't tuck it in and I've never had a problem with my neck (or head for that matter) getting cold.

If you tuck your bib into your neck seal, you'll be diving an expensive, poorly insulating wetsuit.

I thought the same thing based on wording of "into drysuit".

But then I saw you had referenced drysuit hoods as possible choices.

You should also try on DUI and Santi hoods. Find a hood that fits like a glove with the protection you want.

I use a Waterproof 5mm hood with the DUI suit and just make sure the bib is flat against the suit
Seems like bib on the Waterproof is smaller-at least by the picture. I haven't seen one here at a LDS to look at close, but is that true (or just how it looks in the picture). I've heard good things about there hoods.

Seems like bib on the Waterproof is smaller-at least by the picture. I haven't seen one here at a LDS to look at close, but is that true (or just how it looks in the picture). I've heard good things about there hoods.

I'd have to compare at home, but yeah, I think the Waterproof hood's bib is smaller than the DUI one that came with my suit. I just really like the smoothness, feel, and flexibility of the Waterproof hood over any other hood I've tried, even the DUI one.

I know many suits have "cold water necks" or whatever, but most bibbed hoods I've seen extend well below where most drysuit neck areas can accommodate. No/minimal bib is what I prefer anyway, if I have to wear a hood, but that's besides the point and personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom