First drysuit -- help! Santi, O'Three, Apollo...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solinnea

New
Reaction score
I am relatively new to diving and am trying to figure out which drysuit would be the best for me. I am petite so I will likely be getting a made-to-order suit and will be primarily diving with it around the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and surrounding areas, British Columbia), ~50F water temperature. After searching the forums and several recommendations, I've seen a lot of great comments about Santi and O'Three. One of my dive buddies also recommended Apollo to me, she loves how warm she stays and her dump wrist valve. Here are the suits I am considering (leaning towards Santi or O'Three):

Santi Ladies First Drysuit (comparable to their E.motion suit)
O'Three MSF 500tb Ladies Drysuit
Apollo 4.0 Bio-Pro Drysuit

Any thoughts or recommendations? I have been having a tough time figuring this out...advice is appreciated.

USIA is based close to you just north of Portland and they build very high quality suits that are very inexpensive. I would recommend supporting local business and save a few bucks. They custom cut all of their suits so it may be worth the drive down to Portland to get custom fitted at USIA and enjoy some good beer while you're down there. Should be under $2k for a very high quality custom suit with a P-valve. Techniflex is my preferred from them.

Of that list, Santi would be my preferred, but they are very expensive.

I am relatively new to diving and am trying to figure out which drysuit would be the best for me. I am petite so I will likely be getting a made-to-order suit and will be primarily diving with it around the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and surrounding areas, British Columbia), ~50F water temperature. After searching the forums and several recommendations, I've seen a lot of great comments about Santi and O'Three. One of my dive buddies also recommended Apollo to me, she loves how warm she stays and her dump wrist valve. Here are the suits I am considering (leaning towards Santi or O'Three):

Santi Ladies First Drysuit (comparable to their E.motion suit)
O'Three MSF 500tb Ladies Drysuit
Apollo 4.0 Bio-Pro Drysuit

Any thoughts or recommendations? I have been having a tough time figuring this out...advice is appreciated.

FYI - there's really no reason for a wrist valve.

Santi E.Lite was my second suit. If it was the first, I would have saved money.

So buying the Santi the first time will ultimately save you money. Try both men's and women's style to find best fit.

A properly maintained drysuit will last you a very, very long time.

Don't limit your thoughts that a drysuit is just for cold water diving. A trilam suit with a proper undergarments will allow you to wear the suit in wide range of temps. So instead of having 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm+ suits, I use the three layers of undergarments of the Fourth Element's layering system. Here is the layering guide. (Drybase, Xerotherm , and Artic)

The trick with high temps is getting the suit wet when fully suited. So as soon as you suit up climb down the dive ladder a few rungs. The water will have a cooling effect as it evaporates as you gear up. Between dives drop the upper part of the suit and tuck cuffs into the thigh pockets to keep them from dragging on the floor. :)

Go with the standard dump valve placement. Dive in trim with valve open. Just inflate drysuit enough to relieve squeeze and use BCD for buoyancy.

I second the Santi... Also measure. Then measure again.

I second the Santi... Also measure. Then measure again.

Do you recommend being meausred by a Santi dealer, or is it really possible to get properly measured at home based on written instructions and diagrams? I haven't seen Santi's measuring instructions, but I have seen DUI's. Is there any trick to it that requires a dealer's trained eye or judgment, or can one really get properly measured at home and then order entirely on-line? DUI lists some tips, like have someone else measure you, stand up straight, relaxed, etc., but not much beyond that.

Do you recommend being meausred by a Santi dealer, or is it really possible to get properly measured at home based on written instructions and diagrams? I haven't seen Santi's measuring instructions, but I have seen DUI's. Is there any trick to it that requires a dealer's trained eye or judgment, or can one really get properly measured at home and then order entirely on-line? DUI lists some tips, like have someone else measure you, stand up straight, relaxed, etc., but not much beyond that.

I would really get a professional that sells/measures Santi suits and have stock sizes in stock.
Get measured and try a stock size that is within your range. Maybe get a deal.
If it doesn't fit, get measured again.
You will want someone with experience. You are paying top dollar for the best, get the full treatment.
If they mess up it's on them, otherwise it's on you.

You may be able to get a deal if you also get some upgrades such as a pee-valve and oval si tech cuff rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom