Drysuit choices for Tropical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been pondering whether I should jump into a drysuit for a while.

My normal diving is year round. In the winter the water temps are around the low 70's F (22C) in the summer they peak into 30'sC (90F) Indeed I've experienced 36C at 30m.

Anyway I digress. In the winter I wear my 7mm with 4mm hood - which I detest. While I don't get cold I can sometime feel cool enough not to want to hand around for an hour. Topside on the boat the thought of donning a cold wetsuit for dive 2 doesn't inspire me. I hate the buoyancy shift of the winter suit, struggling to get down of the first dive (but being slightly heavy at the safety stop) and the continual adjustments underwater with depth change (as opposed to my 3mm where everything is lovely and I carry zero weight.

Everyone has a different cold tolerance. While some of us are in 7's some are in 5mm and there are some hardy soles in shorties in the winter! Brrr

Anyhow, there are a small number who dive dry, and I look at them with some envy.

It was RJP's posts on his DUI 30/30 which got me looking around

While I have some ideas of what I think I need (want) I'm happy for some corrections and advice.

So....
1.lightweight tropical suit fully breathable

2. Considering for my insulating layer my new Sharkskin (similar to Lavacore) one piece which I have brought to replace my 3mm

3. No need of Dry gloves nor boots, I like my wet boots (my feet don't get cold nor do my hands in my 3mm normal aqualung gloves

4. No pockets. I have all the storage I need on my wing and dwe get some strong currents so I want to keep as streamlined as possible

5. don't need a pee valve - never get the urge underwater

6. Completely bamboozled with seal types - advise please

7.Good manufacturers please. I've seen that whites is now Aqualung and the suit recommended to me is no longer made. Interested in DUI (trying to get one in the UK or here might be an issue) and Fourth Element - but these might be suited for colder temps.

8.Cost - not really an issue for the right bit of kit but I do want it to last, although most of my diving is reef we do have some wrecks we penetrate so not too fragile

9. What items on a Drysuit are gimmicks and need not be considered - what is essential and what is preferable?

10. Yes I will do a Dry suite course

11. Would prefer to go and get measured and go custom if I can

12. Still want to carry the minimum weight - my 7mm requires 10lbs of lead in trim pockets

My normal gear is a Diverite 35lb wing, Transpac XT harness without plate, 15L 240 bar faber Steel tank.

Although an experienced diver, please treat all replies from the stand point of I know nothing so keep it simple and explain everything :)

My background: Hawaii diver that also got sick of layering up a 7mm to stay warm on longer dives. I moved to a Fusion Bullet. I've used the DUI CLX450 and the Hollis Biodry FX100 as loaners from friends to try out before deciding on the Fustion. I've never tried one myself, but some of the techies around here own Seaskin suits and are very pleased with them. They are fully custom, and if you visit the UK you can get sized and everything right there, or you can give them your measurements for a custom suit. Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page

The Whites Fusion Sport seems like it would be a good option for you. I'm quite pleased with the way my Fusion hugs me even with minimal undergarment. If you go with the integrated boots, they fit very similarly to wetsuit boots which means you don't have to get bigger fins, and the integrated boots are just plain convenient. I use the same fins/spring straps for both wet and dry dives. With two layers it's got protection from wrecks and rocks. The inner core is also quite easy to patch in the event of a puncture or leak.

Your general options with seals:
Glued latex seals: Pro- good seals, don't restrict mobility or ability to reach into tight spaces/reach valves. Con- if one tears, you're done for the day pretty much.
Quick-change seals that can be used with either latex or silicone seals: Pro- a torn seal won't end your dive day, and you can easily change seals yourself without either taking a lot of time to do it yourself, or paying somebody else to do it for you. Silicone seals are certainly pretty dreamy in terms of plush stretchy comfort. Con: can restrict mobility and affect your ability to reach tight spaces/your valves (not always, and not for everyone, but it can). The neck right causes issues for smaller framed folks. Also takes up more space in your bag with all the hard rings.
Neoprene seals: Pro- While not easily replaceable, they are easily fixable at the dive site. For very cold water the extra insulation on the seal is also a plus. Con- they tend to not seal quite as well as either latex or silicone seals.

There's always more, but that's what popped into my head just now.

I dove in Hawaii in December with a Bare trilam and the bare and aqualung thin base layers. It was fine. I dive in the pool for an hour in the same drysuit and the base layer and it is fine, but it is only 81-82. Don't know how it would work at the high end, that's pretty warm.

The Bare I have is a pretty heavy and thick suit compared to a suit like the Santi eMotion, but I've only handled and tried on the Santi, never dove it.

Although an experienced diver, please treat all replies from the stand point of I know nothing so keep it simple and explain everything :)

There's the DUI 30/30... and there's settling.

Carib_112113_033.jpg

bonaire21.jpg

I don't thing Lavavore is a great idea. The underlayer for this suit simply needs to keep some air between you and the suit/water.

PS - just packed mine for 10 days in Truk...

FullSizeRender_6_.jpg

I've owned the Whites tropical drysuit for maybe ten years but it has been replaced by the Fusion. While I really enjoy the tropical drysuit, I can't recommend the Fusion and, if I had to choose today, I'd also go with the DUI. That said, the fusion is an option.

Reconsider the pockets. You'll get drag from them but they are super useful. Consider also getting the highest flow outlet valve you can find. I have had the inlet freeflow twice and am thankful I made a change from standard valves. Finally, do get a custom suit - it's worth the expense to get a perfect fit.

The buoyancy shift you talk about is not going to go away with a drysuit. Other than that you will enjoy the benefits of a drysuit. There are many many options out there and most of them are fanatstic. I like the silicone seals better than latex. I like my Fusion because its always a perfect fit, does not matter if I change thermal protect up or down or if i gain some weight.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2015 at 06:08 PM ----------

PS - just packed mine for 10 days in Truk...

Are you budding-up with Kev?

Used my Fusion Tech on a live aboard in the Red Sea. Weighs very little, dries fast, and you can wear it between dives with the top open.... I got very cold topside in my wetsuit, because it was windy, and the Whites Fusion did the trick...The local guides was very impressed with it!

I've got a Seaskin Nova (membrane suit), which is a fully customisable MTM from a company in the UK (Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page). I have had it over 3 years, put about 300+ dives on it, just replaced the wrist and neck seals this year. I had one small leak which i've patched with aquasure. I don't know if they will do a suit without boots for tropical diving, but you can always shoot them an email and ask. Worst they could say is no, sorry we can't do that. I think with all the options I added (warm neck cover, zip cover, pockets, drygloves), it came to something around £560, all in. You most likely wouldn't need the warm neck cover or drygloves.
For seals, it depends what you want. You can get the Sitech system, and replace seals on the fly. I'm quite happy to glue on my own seals if they need replacing. Bottle or cone, up to you. I have skinny wrists and find i get a better seal with bottle seals.
Things I would definitely add (no matter the brand you go with): zip cover (to protect the zip).
With a membrane suit, you're undersuit is what supplies thermal protection, not the drysuit itself. I take my drysuit when i go abroad because I don't like to dive wet. In tropical locations, I wear a fourth element baselayer. Where you do most of you're diving, you can most likely get away with a set of fourth element xerotherms or arctics, depending on you cold tolerance. chances are, you will also drop a bit of weight from your 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom