SEAC warm dry: Any Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am interested in this suit, but am looking for feedback? Does it fit snugly like a wetsuit? Is it truly dry, or more along the lines of semi-dry (in other words, do the neck and wrists allow any water in)? Can you put a pee valve? What undergarments would you use?

I hate typical drysuits, but this looks more like the streamlining and snug fit of a good wetsuit, and hopefully only a tiny bubble of air to manage.

Would be mainly for S. Fla. winter diving where water temps are in high 60s to mid 70s. Looking for something to keep me warm on 2 hour+dives, or on days when I do 3 dives.

Wouild it also work for colder dives in the event I ever get out to SoCal or British Columbia for a short trip?

Price seems right, also!

I currently use an older version of this suit: Seacsub Dry Plus. Suits Dry, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive.

It's completely dry as is the warm dry model you're looking at. One of my dive buddies has the same suit and has had a pee valve installed, after market job, don't think you can order it as an option.

My suit fits very snugly (a little too snug to be honest) which is key to reduce drag, its not as easy to swim as a wetsuit (don't think any drysuit is no matter what people say) but I don't think its far off - probably as hydrodynamic as your going to get diving dry.

My SEAC dry plus is a 5mm, I use a MK0 + 100g undersuit, keeps me warm on 2 hours dives at 13degC = mid 50's F . The warm dry is a 4mm neoprene suit so should be absolutely fine for 60 to 70 degrees. You can add more undergarments as required for colder temps.

Hope this helps

Is there anything in particular that "curls your toes" about this suit other than the streamlined fit?

No, that's mainly what caught my eye. A couple of years ago I bought a TLS 350. It fit right, for its type of suit, but I am in strong currents a lot, or covering a lot of reef (West Palm Beach area). I just hated diving it compared to my wetsuits. I know, you can get used to anything, eventually, but I ended up selling it. I don't see that other "tropical" dry suits (DUI 30/30, Waterproof D9) are any different in basic design (just use lighter materials). Currently dive a 6.5 semi-dry (Mares Isotherm) when it gets really cold, but still think dry might have advantages (you're not wet after the dive, so warmer on the boat, etc), but only if I can get a snug streamlined fit that mimics a wetsuit as much as possible (I know it won't ever be the same).

Also, I have to say, the price is very good.

I see some disadvantages (back zip, so you need a buddy, no big deal for me), neoprene is heavier than the other suits) but the thing most important for me is streamlining.

If there are other options I am more than happy to hear about them.

Have you looked into the White's/Aqualung Fusion line? It's streamlined and features the skin which many divers like because you can replace it rather inexpensively if it wears out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom