Any experience with the newer, flexible neck ring from SiTech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know there's been a thread on this before, but at that point, nobody had any experience with it, so I thought I would check again.

We've done a number of installs of this system, here's hoping at least a few of our customers would chime in here.

Have you gotten any feedback from anyone?

It's been primarily positive. The only concern is a couple have had a little bit of a learning curve with rolling the new seal into the groove, but once they get that nailed they love it.

Well, the one I have has expanded my repertoire of profanity. It's not designed for use by people with very arthritic hands, although it definitely does work. I'd sure love to hear from someone who has used the new one, especially if they have used it with a harness setup. The relief worried me a bit.

Do you have the older one? I don't understand " The relief worried me a bit"

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 12:46 AM ----------

I have the new one installed on my Santi. I'm at work at the moment but will post my impressions later today.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 01:26 AM ----------

Ah I get it, you mean the height of the ring.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 07:47 AM ----------

I had the new Sitech fitted to my Santi by DRIS. Initially they advised that they'd need to remove the warm collar which I wasn't so keen on so they went back to the drawing board. They made contact a day or so later advising they had worked out a way to keep the collar which I was very happy about.

I didn't actually want the neck system as I'd heard from Santi and several SB members that it's not good for small framed people. I previously had an issue with the suit leaking through the inflator gasket and sent it off for repair, not DRIS, it came back and within one day started peeling off. I was a little concerned that if something as simple (?) as replacing an inflator gasket was done incorrectly (?) how was a full neck seal replacement likely to go. So decided I'd get the neck system so I could replace neck seals myself.

On land I notice the ring is there, it causes my harness to try and slip off my shoulders. I can feel it slightly through my BZ400. Underwater I don't notice it's there at all. I have noticed a reduction in mobility but am unsure if it's the ring or the thickness of my new BZ400, I suspect the latter. I only single tank dive so have no idea how it might affect the mobility required for valve drills.

I notice that the top outer edge of the inflator gasket is in contact with the ring and looks like it's putting some stress on the gasket, it looks like it's trying to unpeel but the boys at DRIS have both glued and stitched the gasket so maybe it will hold up just fine. Time will tell. It no longer leaks so they did solve that issue.

Prior to the neck ring my suit folded very nicely and easily, with the neck ring not so much.

I havent tried to replace a neck seal yet so have no idea how easy or difficult that may be. Looking closely at it it doesn't look as accessible as one of my buddy's older versions. The securing ring looks well buried.

For me the ability, hope so anyway, to change my own neck seals makes it worth it. However if I had the knowledge and/or experience to confidently replace my own latex seals with glue etc I'd probably not have bothered. I don't travel dive with my drysuit so being able to change seals on a boat or it ruin a vacation is not a concern to me.

I've only done 10 or so dives with the new system so cannot comment on the longevity of the silicone seal. My layex seal occasionally leaked, possibly because I trimmed it prematurely, possibly because I'm skinny, not sure. The silicone seal has not once yet leaked. Comfort wise I don't notice any difference. I am able to turn my head without it leaking, the latex seal would leak but maybe due to my trimming?

I don't love it, I don't hate it. I can't compare it to the older system as I've never tried it so couldn't say if it's an improvement or not. If you need to be able to replace your own seals in a hurry without the use of chemicals etc it's a no brainer.

My opinion of neck system aside, DRIS did a great job fitting the neck system. They also managed, although looks a smidgen rough (I'm a bit OCD) to replace and actually seal my inflator gasket.

Since I've had the suit back from DRIS I've not had one leak. Based on my experience with not only the work done but also the communication throughout the process I have complete faith in their ability to work on drysuits and at the end of this season will be returning my suit so they can fit the Kubi Fitted a glove system to my suit. If it means anything I'm happy to pay the shipping from Japan to DRIS because I believe they will do a good job. I trust them. Maybe they can make my inflator gasket look prettier at the same time:D

Hope this was of some help.

Last edited:
I just had the new SI Quick Neck system installed on my Bare CD4 Pro drysuit (4 mm compressed neoprene). I have not dove with the suit yet, so will have to post again soon after having it in the water. I originally ordered the standard size silicone seal for my 13-1/4 inch neck, but it was huge. I exchanged it for the small size which arrived from Bare today. Installed it easily in about 1 minute with my husband's help (and his arthritic wrist). I will not have to trim the seal. It is a perfect fit. It goes easily over my biggish head (21-1/2 inches), and is very comfortable. Super happy about that. Only ripped out a few hairs coming off.

I am 5'4" and 130 pounds, but I did not notice the ring at all. I tried on my Zeagle Ranger vest, and did not notice much difference other than having to loosen the chest strap a bit. Bare initially told me that the ring system would not fit on any of their women's suits, especially a small. But my husband took it in to Bare in Vancouver, and they measured it all and it just fits. They also added a warming collar. They did a fantastic job. Looks great, feels fine.

So, the water test is next. Generally, I find my suit and equipment is always less comfy on land, and not so bad once I'm actually in the water. So I expect it will be fine. Not cheap, though. It cost me almost $300 to have the ring system, warm collar, and silicon seal installed. I am allergic to latex, so am loving the silicon seal. No neck rash for me anymore.

It sure looks a lot more comfortable than the neck-tite system. I currently hang my Fusion Bullet on a wetsuit hanger based on some other members recommendations. It does seem to make a difference to the ring shape and out of water comfort. I assume Apeks will start shipping the new KVR1 with the new systems??? The KVR1 is shaping out to be an awesome suit.

Tried my first dive with the new Quick Neck system on my neoprene suit. I didn't notice the ring at all. I am a smaller woman with average woman size shoulders, and there was no problem. I was only wearing a fleece sweatshirt but did not have any discomfort from the ring on my shoulders, even with my vest and tank on, walking into the water on a shore dive. Getting the silicone seal off and on is so easy! Huge improvement over latex seal.

Only problem was that we did not install the seal properly into the ring system. Yikes - catastrophic flooding - I had to abort the dive as I was totally soaked within minutes at the surface, as water trickled down my legs, and into my boot, I decided not to proceed with the dive. So I had the joy of hauling all my gear back up the beach, rinsing it in a fresh water mountain stream, and packing it all up, while wearing my suit with my comfy new neck seal.... So make sure you get it right! Luckily, the dive site is only 5 minutes from our house, so we can go any time. Glad this didn't happen on a trip.

I've had it on my Fusion Essence since last summer. I was going through neck seals every 6 months or so (we're pretty sure they degraded from sunscreen use) and didn't want to lose another dive to that. I rarely even notice that the neck ring is there. I do notice it (in an unpleasant way) if I'm wearing sidemount tanks while on land, but never have with single mount tanks. The install by DRIS was quick and done very well, it looks perfect. As a bonus, the latex neck seal that came with it has lasted longer than any of my previous neck seals. Go figure!

I really disliked the old system on the Fusion Bullet I used for a while. I found it bulky and uncomfortable and it dug into me whenever i put my gear on. None of that has been true with the new system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom