Equalizing drygloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
I stumbled over this quote in the Are dry gloves kosher? thread over at the DIR forum:

andrewy:
to equalize DO NOT use anything breaking seal (tubin, bungee, etc) ust make a pinch with all 5 fingers, it will break a seal and equilize.
Now, this really sounded weird to me. When I recently got my first drygloves, I knew I was either going for the tubing-under-the-seals solution or just wearing my glove liners under the seals. It never occurred to me to not have an easy way of equalizing my gloves.

Are there any others out there who are using this method?

Making a fist, pinching the fingers together + all other contortions do not work for me. And I do not have adipose tissue in my joints.

I wish I were like my friend who has sinuous wrists. All he has to do is think about it and his glove magically equalize. I HATE him. :)

I wish I were like my friend who has sinuous wrists. All he has to do is think about it and his glove magically equalize. I HATE him. :)
I don't. In warm (some 12-15C or so) summer water, I prefer wetgloves (5mm 5-finger) for the dexterity, and I'd hate flooding my arms every time I moved my camera rig around. Or reached for my SPG. :)

I don't. In warm (some 12-15C or so) summer water, I prefer wetgloves (5mm 5-finger) for the dexterity, and I'd hate flooding my arms every time I moved my camera rig around. Or reached for my SPG. :)

Yes, this is exactly why I always wear Drygloves, prior to using wrists often leaked. I don't need the extra dexterity required for photography so am fine with gloves. 12 degrees C warm? I wish. That's freezing for me.

I don't have to do anything to equalize my gloves, but as mentioned, the flip side is that ANY time I dive without dry gloves, my arms get wet, unless my seals are really SUPER tight. With my suits that have the SiTech system on them, I keep a separate set of seals for Mexico cave diving, because I can't stand the nuisance value of getting them on and off at home.

I'm pretty thin, but flexing my tendons was never enough to crack the seal. I use bungee. If the glove floods, it lets in a lot less water than tucking the inner gloves under the seal in my experience, pus it's easier to pull out if needed than an entire glove liner.

And what happens when you do not have a proper seal with the gloves?

I have dove a few times and had my hand get wet. Had I use anything to connect my drysuit with my dry gloves, I would end up with water in my suit.

The squeeze is only really noticeable around 90 feet or deeper.

The squeeze is only really noticeable around 90 feet or deeper.
I don't agree. At all.

On the fairly few dryglove dives I've done so far, I've more than once felt the need to lift my hands to get some air into my gloves to keep from freezing my fingertips off. And my personal depth limit is 30m/90ft, my normal max depth is around 25m/80ft. The last two dives, the max depth was less than 20m/65ft. My fingers still got pretty effing cold if I didn't equalize my gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom