3 finger mitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering how much warmer are 3 finger neoprene mitts vs standard 5mm neoprene gloves
thanks in advance

Had em' didn't like em. Too stiff. Depends on what type of dexterity you need underwater. If you're just hauling line, lifting junk, or moving rocks 3 fingers is good. When I was filming in Alaska (Feb) underwater I'd use 5 finger as I needed to throw switches, screw control arms etc, They were Kevlar tipped. Sometimes I would use the 5 finger smurf dry glove. Someday someone (maybe me???) will come up with a thin membrane which heats the fingers so we can do away with all this clumsiness.:D

Last edited:
They are much warmer..

They are much warmer..
Concur.

I've switched to drygloves now, but when I was using wetgloves, my personal temp limit for 5-fingers was 10C water. Below that, my fingers got not just cold, but uncomfortably cold in 5-fingers. Even operating a camera is easier with three-fingers if the water is cold enough, since you lose more dexterity from being cold and stiff than from the thick layer of neoprene.

I still prefer 5-finger wetgloves when the water is somewhat temperate, since they give me more dexterity than drygloves.

Had em' didn't like em. Too stiff. Depends on what type of dexterity you need underwater.
Depends on the design of the gloves. There's quite a bit of variation in how the gloves are made. My favorite wet mitts are my short cuff 6.5mm 3-fingers made by Mares. They've got no rubberization on the inside of the hand, which makes them really flexible and really snug-fitting. I can actually operate my camera with those. Other gloves, with a corrugated non-slip rubber-like inside are a lot stiffer. Also, the short cuffs that just go slightly above the wrist seals make them easier to don and doff than the long cuffs that stretch half-way up your forearm that other models use.

just wondering how much warmer are 3 finger neoprene mitts vs standard 5mm neoprene gloves
thanks in advance

A lot warmer. I have always dove dry gloves but for students and renters we always recommend wet three finger "lobster claw" gloves. They are far warmer, you can make the argument of loss dexterity but if your fingers are cold, stiff and cramping because the 5 finger gloves don't offer the same thermal capabilities you are going to lose dexterity anyways.

Lots Warmer... I would use a 3 finger mitt on the left hand and a glove on the right if needed...

Jim...

squirt some shampoo or hair conditioner in the mitts before putting them on. It will make it much easier to put them on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom