Backzip vs Frontzip - Most hydrodynamic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new drysuit and was considering a frontzip suit. I love the look of trilams but worry about struggling when swimming against current etc. so looking at frontzip neoprene options like the BARE XCS2

My current drysuit is a 5mm backzip neo, it fits me like a glove and is although not as easy to swim as a wetsuit it's not far off.

My question is can a front zip drysuit ever be as hydrodynamic as a backzip? Most frontzip suits I've seen, including neoprene frontzips look very baggy. I'm sure some will say this is a sizing issue but it seems as if backzip suits look "smoother" with less wrinkles when worn than frontzips.

Other questions:

Does a telescoping torso help make the suit more hydrodynamic? Do gaitors apart from keeping air out of your boots make the legs more hydrodynamic?

On my last trip some one ask why the Zipper was in the back of a wet suit, the answer that we all agreed on was it was to harder to take off, with the zipper in front (arms). I do not know if that is the case with a dry suit.

Wow, really over thinking this......hydrodynamics are affected by so many variables that the placement of a zipper will have almost no noticeable affect. The reason the zipper is front or back is cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ensuring that the suit fits properly is far more important in determining how much drag you experience than where the zipper is placed.

As mention right above, a back zipper is cheaper because it is a shorter zipper. So zipper cost is less and installing it is less labor intensive. My experience is that it's harder to get a back zip suit that fits as well as the same suit in front zip.

For the most part, a baggy suit is a "fit" issue rather than "zipper" issue.

For the most part, trilam suits will have more "wrinkles" because it is a thinner material.

Trilam:
TLS350.jpg

Neoprene:
cf200_summary.png

PS - you like "the look of trilam"? Better to think about the functional differences between the two? You say you have a suit currentlt - what don't you like about it? What are you hoping to achieve by getting a different suit?

Last edited:
Wow, really over thinking this......hydrodynamics are affected by so many variables that the placement of a zipper will have almost no noticeable affect. The reason the zipper is front or back is cost.

Ok so the extra torso material required for a front zip suit will not add to drag? I guess this is where the telecoping torso comes into play?

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

RJP - Current suit was my first DS, bought it second hand, it's old and leaks a little, it has enough patches and aquaseal on it - time for my first brand new suit. I like the idea of being able to self-don even though I'm able to zip up my back entry suit; it's something I rarely do for fear of damaging the zip.

Reactions: RJP
Yes. Not noticeably.
Material for tele torso is tucked up and controlled but a fastex fastener.

Back
Top Bottom