New Drysuit manual from SDI coming.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last November I was contracted by SDI to write a new Drysuit course for them. This past weekend at Beneath the Sea I was able to get a look at the pre-production copy of the student manual. I want to thank the entire team for their efforts. It looks good and the early reviews were all positive. Here's a look at the cover:
drysuit cover.jpg

Looking forward to it.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The girl has no shoulder?

...I was contracted by SDI to write a new Drysuit course for them...

Of course, you'll have to give us a sneak preview on how you handled the question Should you use your drysuit or BCD for buoyancy control?.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:32 PM ----------

Glare from the flash on the camera. I'm a writer, not a photographer. :=)

Her other shoulder is barely there as well....

She is Korean and very petite. Drysuits are not just for guys in doubles that put them on over their heads. :=)
As for the sneak peak that's up to SDI. ;=)

Yeah her right shoulder is nonexistent. It really is a weird and distracting photo. I didn't even notice the glare from the flash until you mentioned it. Not to denigrate the content of the book, but that is a really weird photograph.

Good question. I'll ask one in return. How many have it on the cuff? How many have one, or the option for one, on a heel of the suit? They are out there.

I actually gave this some thought before I went to sleep last night and came up with the following questions. As a dry suit instructor, does it matter? As a new dry suit diver, does it matter? It shouldn't. In fact it should not matter to any competent diver.

As an instructor I should be able to teach any of the locations. A new drysuit diver would not be confused if that is all they ever learned with. A skilled and experienced diver could easily adapt.

Cons to having it on the right shoulder. Have to raise the right arm and the inflator on the left. Is that big deal? Not that I can see if the right amount of gas is being used in the suit and the BC. What else? It;s different. So is a BPW from a jacket BC. A rescuer would have to look for it. Yes, and? Like they would not think to look if they didn't find it on the left. How many rescue classes even think to cover a drysuit diver? All should but I bet they don't unless all are in drysuits.

I thought of some pros as well. It would make getting my suit off and on easier since I usually don the BC right arm first. No getting hung up on the valve. It would make it easier to get the BC off. Again not getting hung up on the valve and having lots of slack to work with. I could also keep my compass on my left arm with the bottom timer level while I raised the right shoulder to dump if I had to vent the suit. Maybe I should have my next suit done that way? Would not cause any issues I can see.

wonder if it is a "backwards printed" photo (mirrored).... done to make it work with the way they wanted it to display...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom