Help with first drysuit purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delmolino

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I am starting to seriously research on drysuits I would like to know opinions on the following options:

1) Bare SB System
2) Santi Espace
3) Santi Enduro
4) DUI TLS 350
5) DUI FLX Extreme
6) DUI CLX 450

The Enduro and the CLX 450 are in the upper end of my budget. I will have to also invest in valve undergarment, etc, but might be able to take advantage of some my winter cycling gear as undergarment but still have to research more on this.

I understand that Santis are made in Poland and even though the Polish Zloty has depreciated significantly against the USD I have not yet seen any impact on Santis prices in the USA, should I expect price changes in the near future?

My main goals are to dive wrecks in the NY/NJ area and to progress towards Tech. Thoughts, suggestions and ideas are highly appreciated.

I am a former owner of the Bare SB system.

Mine started to delaminate, and the two other people I know who owned them - theirs also delaminated.

I think all of us have different Bare drysuits now after a few rounds of sending the SB back for warranty work and giving up on the SB.

It is also not really suited for Tech, lacks pockets and pee valve options.
Bare does not recommend after market install of pockets or pee valve on the SB either.

Thanks for the input Ken T, which suit do you own currently? Do you like it?

not familiar with Bare, but the above makes me hesitant to consider

TLS350 is out because it is far too light to bother with on cold wreck penetration, best suited for cave diving or other relatively non-abusive environments.
Espace is out for the same reason
FLX/Enduro are in the same general ballpark but as trilam suits I wouldn't bother with them unless you plan on flying places and taking that same drysuit. USIA Techniflex is in the same ballpark and about $1500 custom cut, made in the US so that should be in consideration for that type of drysuit.

Personally I would go with the CLX because you get quite a few advantages. You get some inherent insulation from the neoprene, crushed though it may be it is still quite a bit thicker and more insulating than the laminates. It is quite a bit more durable, crushed neoprene is pretty much indestructible, and quite easy to repair. It dives more like a wetsuit than the bag suits, which is nice in currents.

I own a Rofos trilam similar to the TLS350 but it is primarily used in caves, and I travel with it so having light and durable is crucial for me, but if I were to buy a dedicated wreck suit, it would likely be a CLX.

Re. undergarments, just use your winter cycling gear, polartec is polartec, no reason to have dedicated undergarments if you already have ski clothes. CLX also gives you an advantage in having to wear less undergarments. Make sure you get a P-valve installed though which means you'll likely have to take a soldering iron and punch a hole in your pants for the line to come out, but don't skimp on the P-valve.... You may not think you need it due to the dive times you're running, but you have to think of dive time+gear up time+break down time as the total time you will have to go between taking a leak, and if it is cold and/or windy you won't want to get out of the suit while you're on the boat, so just get one and be done with it.

I'm very familiar with BARE, Whites, DUI and several others. As above, the Bare SB just doesn't seem to hold up. The DUI CLX is a very good suit and the Santi's have a good reputation and are popular. Slightly cheaper than the DUI suit is a ROFOs (mentioned by Tbone). They are bullet proof, flexible, breathable and come with lots of features/Options. They ones made for UTD out of San Diego can be found here;
UTD RS350AG Breathable Flexible Trilaminate Drysuit (Soft, flexible) · UTD Scuba Diving

So far all I've heard is positives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my Rofos was bought about 18 months ago from DRiS and is superb, but again I wouldn't chose it for cold wreck penetration. The guys up there are using them for some of their wrecks, but they are in much better condition on the Great Lakes than the east coast. Mine is the RS450 which is the nonbreathable version which should have a bit more longevity than the breathable versions as the one way membrane *think Goretex* does wear out after a while and can't be fixed. Nice for warm weather use but not what I would take in the wrecks. They now have a RS450 Cave which looks like it would hold up a bit better, but I'd go USIA Techniflex and save almost a grand for the same durability.

CLX still gets my vote for this application though.

Amongst DUI, TLS is the lightest way, more flexible but also the least durable. If I have to do it over again, I probably won't go for TLS. FLX and CLS has the same main material. The bottom are exactly the same. CLX has cordura overlay on top where FLX has a lighter overlay (same as TLS). For my usage, I don't see any advantage of cordura overlay on upper body at all. So FLX will be my next suit if I am going with DUI

Have you considered O'Three (U.K.). Steve Lewis (Doppler) seems to have really taken a liking to them. I'm sure he has sound reasons...

I have a DUI CF200(x) that is one rugged suit. Its an older one, and I have not seen folks too enamored with their recently bought ones... thinking they aren't what they used to be. i know from getting new Rock Boots, the quality is significantly lower...

Thanks for the input Ken T, which suit do you own currently? Do you like it?

I had Bare replace my SB system drysuit with the Bare XCS2 hyper-compressed neoprene suit.

I only have one dive with it - 48 minutes in 1.1 degree C water.

I found it to be flexible, comfortable and warm enough with two wool undershirts (Icebreaker) and a wool sweater, fleece long johns and fleece pants.

No bubble problems and the suit vented well.

Quite happy with it so far.

Even though wreck diving on relatively cold waters is the main goal, it would definitely be good to take the suit with me when traveling. In other words, it does not have to be a dedicated suit, but a resistant one that could be taken elsewhere.

The brands and models I listed are some that my LDS carry, I am opened to other products; however, I would like to have easy and prompt customer service in the US if necessary. I have discussed some possibilities with my instructor but I am trying to gather as much information as possible in the next few weeks as this is a significant investment, trying to do it right in the first time!

Back
Top Bottom