2/3mm wetsuits - okay for warm water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alice Mutasa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I gather that the 2/3mm wetsuits (Gul, Sprey etc) are probably aimed more at surfing & other surface sports than diving, but has anyone used these for warm water diving - i.e. around 27 / 28°? (Caribbean; Indian Ocean etc). I was looking for a new 3mm, but I'm wondering if just having 3mm on the body & 2mm on the arms & legs will make a lot of difference - & I like the idea of a lighter wetsuit that's easier to get into! Views would be appreciated....

I wear a full 3mm Henderson in the tropics. I have been warm on some dives so I flood it at the neck opening. Helps protect from stings also.

I use a Bare 2/3mm wetsuit in south Florida in what passes for our 'colder' months in the winter; I usually use a shorty in the warmer summer months.

If you don't normally feel cold in a 3mm, then odds are good that you'll be just fine in a 3/2.

27 is 80 degrees... which is NOT that warm. You will probably want a neoprene hood if you are doing more than one dive or want to be comfortable should the weather turn cloudy, rainy and cool.

Exposure protection is a very personal issue. If I dive multiple days in a full 3, I may use a hood on second and subsequent dives. My wife dives a 5 mm in 80 degree water. Better a bit warm than chilled 30 mins into a dive.

It depends on the person. I saw a dive in Hawaii where a girl was freezing wearing a 7mm suit and other people were happily diving in cutoffs and t-shirts.

I love my Bare 3/2 mm full suit--it fits me very well--and use it when the water is warmer than about 80F (27C). Just below that temperature, I use my Bare 5/4 mm. Bare is a Canadian brand, and marketed mainly to divers as far as I know, not surfers.

I get cold in a 2/3mm at 80 degrees diving with people who were diving in a bathing suit for an entire week - highly individual

Remember though, there are differences in the structure and function as a diving and surfing wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom