Can I add a balanced fitting to an unbalanced P-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPSI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a previously owned drysuit with a Lightmonkey unbalanced P-valve already installed. The suit and P-valve have never actually been used. I have never used a drysuit, but have done some reading about the P-valves. I have two questions:
1) Does anyone know where to buy a in-line adapter separately so that I could splice it into the line and make my own balanced system? I definately don't want to remove/replace the current outlet fitting.
2) Is my current unbalanced system even likely to cause discomfort?

Thanks

The advantage to a balanced system is you won't get squeeze if the valve/bolt are closed and if you forget to plumb yourself you won't flood. With the valve/bolt open on an unbalanced system you won't get squeeze and you can close the valve/bolt if you forget to plumb. a lot of people end up going unbalanced after having pee bypass the balance chamber at some point. I dive waters in the 30*s without discomfort or issue with an unbalanced ssystem. IMO, the balanced will all leak at some point. My new LM balanced system leaked so I switched it to unbalanced and no more leaks

Ok the check valve option looks doable, thanks for that! So, you mentioned some "precautions" one can take to use an unbalanced system. Would you care to elaborate further on that subject? :D

What the balancing device does is allow the catheter tube to equalize with the internal pressure of the DrySuit. For that to happen, however, you need to add a device and a "Y" which also adds additional failure possibilities. For my part, I find it easier to open the valve from time to time, normally just pee regularly. In my own case, I will find I sometimes need to pee and in fact don't. I attribute that to internal pressure from the hose. Open the valve and all is fine.

With that said, whether diving a valve or not, you must remember that contaminants are being directly exposed to your urethra, so care must be taken to clean the hose (Betadyne) and your little friends helmet.

Thanks for all of the great information! So I get that one issue with a balanced systems is additional failure points. I'm still not clear on the best procedure for using an unbalanced system. I will be doing both shore diving and boats. From what I have gathered, when using an unbalanced system, it sounds like some people prime the line to remove most of the air, then close the bolt. But some say open the bolt periodically. And others have mentioned leaving the bolt open all the time. I am presuming that if the line is not primed, and the bolt is left open, it will equalize as depth changes by drawing in sea water. If the bolt is left closed, you get a painful vacuum in that situation. It seems that priming refers to urination into the system, which seems undesirable on a boat. I am wondering if it would be best to stick with with the unbalanced system, not prime it, and leave the bolt open all the time. In a worst case, if the system became disconnected, you would start taking on water and need to quickly close the bolt. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the great information! ?...

I am wondering if it would be best to stick with with the unbalanced system, not prime it, and leave the bolt open all the time. In a worst case, if the system became disconnected, you would start taking on water and need to quickly close the bolt. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's basically how I've been doing it for years and hundreds of dives without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom