APEKS inflator valve inner cage from the Twighlight Zone...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot attach the outer cage on the inside of my drysuit Apeks inflator valve. If I remove cage and tighten valve I cannot then re attach the cage. The only way I can fit cage is to fit cage before I assemble and tighten which means I can't tighten the nut down much as my hands are small. I have a spare Apeks inflator valve and can, not on suit, do it up tight and then attach cage with absolute ease. I cannot work out why. I thought it might be a clearance issue but I can do the valve that's not on the suit up tighter which exposes more thread therefore less clearance and still easily attach cage but once on suit, no way. Is it something to do with the gasket? I'm scratching my head, I admit defeat. I hope I'm not going to look stupid here, anyway if anyone can ease my suffering with an explanation that would be appreciated. Cheers.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 11:17 AM ----------

The Internet is your friend, OK I found info suggesting that the cage should not be removed from back nut unless servicing unit and disassembly and reassembly takes place with cage fitted to backing nut. Ok, but I still can't figure out why I can fit when not on suit but cannot fit when on suit. I also found that there is a specific tool for tightening/undoing unit, AT43, which can be had for the rather spendy price of €114. Is this tool necessary? Or do people just tighten it up by hand, I note it's only 5.4Nm which doesn't seem particularly tight. Cheers.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

Giving it some more thought, the only thing I can think of is that when the backing nut is done up against the gasket it's splaying the retaining arms out thus no longer allowing fitting of the cage as the arms on the nut and groove on the cage no longer align. Maybe?

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

Strange...

Back
Top Bottom