Does anyone make an uncompressed neoprene drysuit any longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've looked but have only found the SeaSoft T3 which is only 3mm. Ideally I'd like a front-zip suit, but would look at back-zip. I'm not looking for compressed or crushed, as I don't want to wear heavy undergarments.

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a custom suit maker for such a thing?

...//... I'm not looking for compressed or crushed, as I don't want to wear heavy undergarments. ...//...
A bit confused. :confused:

I would think that you wouldn't want a thin "bag" suit then, wouldn't a mildly compressed neoprene suit not be what you want?

I dove a "compressed" (not crushed) rear entry DUI CNse neoprene suit for years, just bought a Pinnacle Black Ice front entry neoprene suit. The only issue that I have with the PBI Chinese suit is that the valves really "bite" when the suit is heavily squeezed. (I keep my suits very heavily squeezed, ...just me...)

The Merino wool lining is great for 70'ish water. Hope this is on topic...

A bit confused. :confused:

I would think that you wouldn't want a thin "bag" suit then, wouldn't a mildly compressed neoprene suit not be what you want?

I dove a "compressed" (not crushed) rear entry DUI CNse neoprene suit for years, just bought a Pinnacle Black Ice front entry neoprene suit. The only issue that I have with the PBI Chinese suit is that the valves really "bite" when the suit is heavily squeezed. (I keep my suits very heavily squeezed, ...just me...)

The Merino wool lining is great for 70'ish water. Hope this is on topic...
Well, maybe I don't know enough to have asked the right question. I assumed that any crushed or compressed suit is essentially a (more durable) shell with only slightly better insulating properties than any other shell suit.

Don't you need substantial undergarments with your DUI or Pinnacle suits in cold water (45-55F)? I like being fairly stripped down, prior to donning the suit, to prevent overheating during the pre-dive phase, but also toasty warm during the dive. My ONeill makes that happen nicely, I'm just trying to find a front-entry version.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

goggle, Bare .. Oceaner .. Brooks .. Abyss .. Atlaninc
wow, aside from Bare, I'd never heard of those brands. Guess my google needs some work.

It looks like there's quite a selection and Abyss has some nice durability features, though all the uncompressed models appear to be shoulder-zip suits. Maybe something like the Bare 4mm suit could be a compromise option.

I assumed that any crushed or compressed suit is essentially a (more durable) shell with only slightly better insulating properties than any other shell suit.
This is my concern also. I want neoprene to reduce the bulk of undergarment I need with a shell suit, but I don't want to find out that 2-4mm of compressed neoprene requires the same undergarment as before.

Hi, this is Bruce from SEASOFT SCUBA. We actually make the TX3 which you are right is 3.5 mm. BUT we also make the SEASOFT TX, it's Big brother which is 4.5 mm thick. A lot of people have a lot of misunderstanding about neoprene drysuits and drysuits in general. Here is my take on drysuits based on 30 plus years of diving, over 5,000 drysuit dives and having used virtually every kind of drysuit made.

It is my opinion that neoprene drysuits make a better drysuit for most types of diving. Here is why:

1. They have less drag because they stretch.
2. They are warmer because they have built in thermal protection AND you can add more warmth by adding more air. You generally cannot do this with a shell suit because of the buoyancy characteristics of a shell suit.
3. They are easier to dive because you do not have the migration of air in the same way you do in a shell suit (unless you are diving with a squeeze or semi-squeeze).
4. The seals in a neoprene suit (if they are good quality 3-5 mm neoprene) are more reliable, warmer and more comfortable than latex.
5. The costs of undergarments are far less for neoprene suits because of the thermal protection already present.
6. The costs of repairs to neoprene drysuits are far less expensive and most simple repairs to seals or suits can be accomplished at home or even at the dive site.
7. If a neoprene drysuit does become compromised at depth the danger to the diver is generally less catastrophic than it is to a shell suit diver.
8. Neoprene suits, though generally better, actually costs less for a total package including suit, undergarment etc.

The question could be asked by a beginner - "If what you are saying is true, then why are there so many shell suits?"

Here is my answer "I have been diving drysuit since 1985, when I started virtually all drysuit were either 7 or 8 mm neoprene OR VIKING vulcanized rubber suits. Most of us wanted the VIKING suits but they were VERY expensive (approximately $7,000 - $10,000 in today's dollars). Why did we want them? Because they were DRY!!! Almost all neoprene drysuits back then had AQUASEAL smeared all over the crotch and under the arms because they leaked. The adhesives needed to make them totally waterproof had simply not been invented yet. When a couple of the manufacturers started messing around with shell suits I was one of their test divers (around 1989-1990). They were cold, REALLY cold BUT they were dry with neoprene seals back then as well. The demand for suits that were dry took off because they were perceived as better, I mean they are called drysuits after all.

However, ten years later adhesives started being invented that made neoprene drysuits dry as well. The problem is this however. If your instructor is wearing a shell suit and has NEVER wore a neoprene drysuit what is he/she going to recommend? The same suit they use and so it goes. The shell suit business continues as it does because most divers are not going to make a $2,000 - $3,000 purchase without asking someone they trust (an instructor). But what if that instructor has never used the best product available? That is the issue that neoprene drysuits face everyday in thousands of dive shops around the country.

Now, I understand that everyone will NOT agree with me and some will violently disagree with me. BUT I am in 250 dive stores a year around the country and I have talked to thousands of dive store owners during the last 10 years in their stores and at trade shows etc. and yes, this is my opinion but it is an educated one. Let me know what you think?

Bruce Justinen
SEASOFT SCUBA

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

To add one more thing. SEASOFT makes custom suits and our suits are self entry even though the zipper is across the back. We are filming a new video this Friday on that issue and it will be up by Sunday on our FACEBOOK page - SEASOFT SCUBA.

Thanks.

Bruce Justinen
SEASOFT SCUBA

Bruce, I am looking forward to seeing your video. I would love to try out one of your drysuits but I don't have any dealers near by.

Bruce,
Thank you for a very informative post. When I learned to dive on a drysuit, it was with a neoprene (uncrushed) suit, and I loved the comfort of it.
Do shell suits provide any advantage for travel over neoprene suits? I would think that there would be a significant weight advantage. Am I wrong?

I think a DUI CF200 qualify as a neoprene suit. In my limited experience, I agree with most of these except #2. neoprene is warmer than shell if you use the same undergarment. But shell can be just warm with thicker undergarment. There is no point of comparing them in terms of warmth only. The comparison IMO should be if for the same warmth, what is the advantage vs disadvantage. At least from flexibility point of view, I think shell + thicker undergarment has advantage over neoprene with think undergarment. It is a noticeable difference for me in valve drill. The fact that neoprene suit is cut tighter, more streamline, easier to dive, stretchable, these are also what make it less flexible.

I also don't recommend neoprene suit for a 2nd reason. It is very heavy once wet and takes days to dry. It is almost impossible to travel with.

1. They have less drag because they stretch.
2. They are warmer because they have built in thermal protection AND you can add more warmth by adding more air. You generally cannot do this with a shell suit because of the buoyancy characteristics of a shell suit.
3. They are easier to dive because you do not have the migration of air in the same way you do in a shell suit (unless you are diving with a squeeze or semi-squeeze).
4. The seals in a neoprene suit (if they are good quality 3-5 mm neoprene) are more reliable, warmer and more comfortable than latex.
5. The costs of undergarments are far less for neoprene suits because of the thermal protection already present.
6. The costs of repairs to neoprene drysuits are far less expensive and most simple repairs to seals or suits can be accomplished at home or even at the dive site.
7. If a neoprene drysuit does become compromised at depth the danger to the diver is generally less catastrophic than it is to a shell suit diver.
8. Neoprene suits, though generally better, actually costs less for a total package including suit, undergarment etc.

SEASOFT SCUBA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom