Dump valve position - DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Time for a new drysuit and I've been thinking about the dump valve position.

I feel that the standard shoulder position makes it a little awkward to dump whilst staying in flat trim, maybe it's just me and my technique or perhaps it's something to do with my current drysuit.

I read about some alternative positions like the cuff but don't think I would go that extreme, then I saw some mentions of the "DIR position" as shown in this pic:

DumpValvePositionS.jpg

Anyone have their valves in the "DIR" position who can give some feedback?

It looks like this would be a better position for the valve allowing you to dump a little easier in trim by just by raising the elbow? I don't see any draw backs apart from it being slightly more difficult to operate the valve, which is a very minor con. However I'm not the most experienced drysuit diver so if others with more experience could give their opinions that would be great.

I don't think it has to do with DIR at all. The "shoulder position" on your picture is just wrong. How do you dump in trim? And how do you stop dumping if you are every in veridical (say on the surface)? I wonder which manufacture put dump there. Most if not all drysuit I have seen has the so called "DIR" position, which I think it is the standard position.

Don't quote me on it, I saw it here: Membrane Drysuit Options - Valves

I would argue there are a few drysuits with dumps high on the shoulder - in any case the point is would having the dump closer to the elbow than the shoulder, ie. further round towards the tricep and lower towards the elbow improve ease of dumping?

I saw some mentions of the "DIR position" as shown in this pic:

View attachment 208398

Anyone have their valves in the "DIR" position who can give some feedback?

I've never seen a shoulder dump valve anywhere BUT what is shown in that picture... at the end of the arrow. Certainly never seen one up on top of the "shoulder" itself as seems to be pictured at the origin of the arrow.

Ok perhaps the picture has confused the issue, I can see what you guys mean, the before position on that image shows a dump which is a little higher than normal.

However in my search for a similar thread I found this one from direxplorers:

Drysuit valve position

In case some of you aren't registered the image from the OP is this one:

Ventil.jpg

It looks like this is a DUI suit and again the idea is to move the dump slightly lower down the arm and round towards the tricep area.

I have the suit the OP posted and asked to change the valve to what they call DIR position. It works great.

There are indeed suits with valves that do not work very well when in trim. My first dry suit was a Northern Diver and it's hard to dump when horizontal. Maybe some suits don't have the valve higher to the shoulder, but can have it more to the front. It works when more vertically and is easier to reach, but doesn't work well when in horizontal trim.

I had a custom Diving Concepts suit where they put the valve on the front of the shoulder. I honestly think it's an unsafe location (and they wouldn't/couldn't fix it). Positioning the valve as in the first photo above, on the outer part of the upper arm, makes it possible to dump simply by raising the elbow. In fact, if I play my cards right, I can sometimes get myself to where the suit "auto-burps" on ascent, and I don't have to do anything at all, which is really quite lovely.

Back
Top Bottom