Wetsuit size for a tall skinny teenage boy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeycanuk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had our son try on our brand new size 16 Bare 5/4mm wetsuit we got a while back.
As teenage boys are wont to do he's grown a few inches over the last few months. The brand new suit will *just* about fit him for our upcoming trip.

The next sizes are adult ones, however his height for our Dec trip might be 5'7"-5'9" but his weight will be around 120-130(if that). For those heights those suits are rated for 150-175lbs.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When a customer asks about wetsuit sizing I always tell them to pay more attention to the body measurements as opposed to weight as body compositions vary. With him growing so quickly as all teenage boys do, have you considered renting a suit for your trips at least until his growth "levels out"? The advantage to renting is he can try out a few different suits and eventually find one he really likes and can purchase that model when he arrives at a stable size.

If you'd rather purchase one as opposed to renting, take a look at Akona...their men's small is pretty close in line with his anticipated size for your December trip. Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 5.05.45 PM.jpg

You can also have an off the rack wetsuit customized if you have a custom wetsuit maker in your area. I can't imagine it would be very expensive to do a few nip and tucks on a wetsuit. A hyperstretch type wetsuit would allow him to expand into it as well.

Back
Top Bottom