wetsuit for athletic build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abstract

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to get my first wetsuit since I am going to be taking my first scuba course soon. I am 5' 9" and 175 pounds. I have 16 inch biceps (flexed), 25 inch quads, 31-33 inch waist (varies alot), 39inch chest (and possibly bigger soon), and 19 inch shoulders. Are there any specific brands I should look into?

I have the same issue. I'm 6'3" and a 48" chest but a 35" waist. With 5 days a week in the gym, I am a "big dude". I have looked for a good fit in off the shelf wetsuits for years. anything in XXL gives me the length and chest but tends to roll around my waist!
Until I recently got a ScubaPro Everflex. this may be the most perfect fit I've tried to date. great quality, looks badass and actually fits those of us with athletic builds. Most important, it does not constrict my rather muscled legs or arms. very happy with it. I'm using the Everflex in a 3/2 so can't speak to the thicker flavors.

I'm around 6' 9" and about 295 lbs with biceps that barely fit into a medium t-shirts and while wearing my full scuba gear (and fins). I usually wear a stock XXL or XXL. if that helps

Try a two piece, farmer john and shorty. I use a L farmer john and an XL shorty because a L jumpsuit was too small across my shoulders and an XL jumpsuit was too baggy in the legs.

I have the same issue. I'm 6'3" and a 48" chest but a 35" waist. With 5 days a week in the gym, I am a "big dude". I have looked for a good fit in off the shelf wetsuits for years. anything in XXL gives me the length and chest but tends to roll around my waist!
Until I recently got a ScubaPro Everflex. this may be the most perfect fit I've tried to date. great quality, looks badass and actually fits those of us with athletic builds. Most important, it does not constrict my rather muscled legs or arms. very happy with it. I'm using the Everflex in a 3/2 so can't speak to the thicker flavors.

I bought the everflex, but I am debating if it is too tight. My chest and shoulder area is very tight (to move my arms and my range of motion but it is a thicker suit) and my thigh area is skin tight so if I ever get a pump from swimming I am not sure I will be able to move in it. I got a 7/5 wetsuit. I think I can get away with 5/3 in California since I sweat easily. Should I switch for a thinner one or is this how a wetsuit should feel? This is my first wetsuit ever. Should I have gotten an XL and 5/3?

Last edited:
go custom - off the rack is 1 size fits nobody! (Kind of like those pantyhose thingys that always seem to bunch up in my crotch)

I have always used a custom wet fit suit so I may be a little biased.

Check out Pinnacle. I'm 5'11", 210lbs with 34" waist, 46" chest. I bought a Large Tempo XT 3mm and it fists perfectly.
Male Sizing - Pinnacle Aquatics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom