DUI 30/30 ankle seal or turbo sole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been eyeing on a DUI 30/30 type of suit for warm water diving. I found one. It came with ankle seal that needs to be replaced. I wonder if I should replace them or just get turbo sole. What would the advantage or disadvantage of ankle seal? I have never used them before.

Ankle seals --can they possibly leak around the calf muscle area of the upper Achilles Tendon, especially with forceful frog kicking or modified flutter?

ankle seals can leak if you have very pronounced Achilles tendons, same as wrist seals if you have bony wrists. Turbo soles suck, nothing else to say, not just DUI, all integrated boots suck. I'd replace the ankle seals, just use the DRiS seam tape, and if you don't like them, buy some neoprene socks and dive with standard scuba booties over them and you're good to go.

I have about 400 dives on my 30/30. Only time the ankle seals have leaked is if I've gotten the undergarment pulled into the seal.

deco1.jpg

Blue32.jpg

The should really be called "calf" seals, as they sit (properly) on the bottom of the calf more than the ankle. The bottom edge of the seal for me sits 3" or so above my ankle.

I would NEVER replace the ankle seals with turbo soles. Allowing your feet to get wet is one of the nice things about the suit. Helps keep you from overheating and/or feeling like you're diving in a bag.

Note also, I got 370 or so dives over 7 years out of the first set of ankle seals. I use McNett's Seal Saver (now called "UV Protector" or something) every few dives and the seals really hold up. (Keep your toenails trimmed, and take your time donning.) Didn't even really need to replace them when I did, but since I was doing the neck seals and a new zipper I figured WTH...

Thx for the info. Can you tell me where to get ankle seals? I am planning to DIY. Also, can 30/30 material capabable of having thigh pockets? How about crotch strap? Being front zip, I exact it to have telescopic torso, so a crotch strap. But from the picture I see, I don't notice them

DRIS Dive Gear Latex Cone Ankle Seals (pair) | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
seals

DRIS Dive Gear Dry Adhesive Drysuit Tape | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
seal tape

Oh, other perk is it helps minimize floaty feet because the socks etc can't fill up with air, and in event of a drysuit flood you have ability to drain the suit from the ankles before you climb out. Regarding pockets and the elastic crotch strap, probably best to contact DUI, but I'd just as soon get neoprene pants or a dive rite thigh pocket or something for it and go without the elastic crotch strap.

Regarding BPW crotch strap, with that material make sure you have the real flimsy DSS type crotch strap webbing, or get a padded one from dive rite/put a neoprene sleeve over the crotch strap. The edges can wear into the material since it isn't quite as durable as cordura

The suit itself has no crotch strap, but the built in suspenders allow it to telescope as they pull the legs up under the torso.

when I bought mine the dealer advised against adding pockets, but subsequent conversations with DUI suggest that pockets are no problem,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom