Year-round undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apostle228

Registered
Reaction score
I have a different sort of question on drysuit undergarments. So, since I started diving last winter, in the PNW, all I have used is a Whites Thermal Fusion undergarment (what my LDS rents). In the winter, I was perfectly comfortable with a smartwool base layer and the Thermal Fusion over that. Now that it is a bit warmer, adding the base layer is too warm and I am just fine with only the thermal Fusion.

I am now in the market to purchase my own undergarment (with hopes of having the funds for my own drysuit this winter), and want opinions on undergarments that can offer comfort in layering like I have been doing... Comfortable in the summer with just the undergarment, and maybe add a warm base layer when things cool down.

What can you guys recommend that I try that would fit the bill for this?

A lot of people in my area use and recommend the Weezle undergarments but it certainly looks like it would be too warm in the summer, and the Thermal Fusion works, but is pretty expensive ($450 at my LDS)...

Anyone have any good recommendations for undergarments that are cozy in the summer, and can be made warm enough in the winter with the addition of a base layer?

It sounds like you already have a solution that works with the Thermal Fusion. It pretty much comes down to personnel preference on how warm you think an undergarment really is. And I imagine it would be hard to try most undergarments before you buy them. I have an undergarment that is rated down to 40°F, but I start getting chilly in the low 50's°F.

I found a guy on Ebay (rondel101bjrr) rondel101bjrr on eBay. I have gotten a few undergarments from him that have worked well for me and are not very expensive. If you do not see anything your size, email him your measurements. He will look for something that will fit or even make one your size. It can take a little while for the custom size undergarments, but I like them a lot. You can also find him mentioned in other undergarment threads.

The other thing is that if you wait until you buy your drysuit, you might be able to get a package deal and bring the price down some.

It sounds like you already have a solution that works with the Thermal Fusion. It pretty much comes down to personnel preference on how warm you think an undergarment really is. And I imagine it would be hard to try most undergarments before you buy them. I have an undergarment that is rated down to 40°F, but I start getting chilly in the low 50's°F.

I found a guy on Ebay (rondel101bjrr) rondel101bjrr on eBay. I have gotten a few undergarments from him that have worked well for me and are not very expensive. If you do not see anything your size, email him your measurements. He will look for something that will fit or even make one your size. It can take a little while for the custom size undergarments, but I like them a lot. You can also find him mentioned in other undergarment threads.

The other thing is that if you wait until you buy your drysuit, you might be able to get a package deal and bring the price down some.

I hadn't thought about the package deal option, that may be a good idea to hold out for, i'll see what my local shop has to offer.

Yea the Thermal Fusion works, I was just looking at what other people had to recommend as the thermal fusion is the only thing i've ever tried :p

The link to the ebay seller you provided doesnt seem to have anything for sale at the moment

I will agree it can't hurt to look around at all your options. A recent thread someone was asking about mountaineering undergarments that were cheaper than scuba specific undergarments, but were made of the same material.

But I AM SURE you will get more replies about everything under the sun. Good luck and stay warm

Similar in warmth to the TF is the 4th Element Halo. The Whites MK3 was also similar, but I believe they don't make it any more. The MK2 is considerably lighter, but might work with a heavy base layer. I'm currently using the Santi BZ 400, which is warmer than the TF, but then again, I've never thought water in the low 50's was warm enough to shed any layers! The 4th Element Arctics might also fit the bill. I don't find them warm enough in summer, but you might.

Be careful about buying undergarments that aren't designed for diving. The biggest thing you need from an undergarment here is that it works when it's wet. Having had a full suit flood at the far boundary of the Edmonds Underwater Park, with 30 minutes to swim to get out, I am a fanatic about that.

I'm not very impressed with my Bare trilam suit, but the Bare SB midlayer rocks. I had a nearly total flood during fundies (about 3 hours in the water those two days) and only noticed I was a bit chilly at the end. Didn't figure out that I had flooded (the first day) until I felt squishing in my boots as I walked up the ramp. That was in 72 degree water. I use the suit and undergarments at a dive site that is 62 or so year round and it is fine in that. (I've gotten wet but never really flooded there.)

I dove the suit in Hawaii with just the SB base layer and with the base and a light scubapro midlayer and it was fine. I got a bit chilled with just the base layer, but not too bad. I normally practice in a very warm swimming pool in just the base layer and it is fine.

No idea how it works in really cold water.

It's all going to be personal preference. I dive TF as well as 4E Arctic and find the warmth just slightly favors the TF, but not by much. Use a wicking tee-shirt and UA leggings under either set, and then in the winter, bump that up with UA Cold Gear or another base layer. Both of those will keep you warm when wet, as noted above, that's really an important point. Since the water temp only swings about 6 degrees here between summer and winter, that's enough to tune for cold. The 2-piece 4E Arctic set has the advantage in the summer though, in that you can hold off on putting the top on until you're really ready to suit up - 80 degrees air temp in full undergarments isn't fun. If you want a one-piece, the 4E Halo, although pricy, is an awesome undergarment.

It's all going to be personal preference. I dive TF as well as 4E Arctic and find the warmth just slightly favors the TF, but not by much. Use a wicking tee-shirt and UA leggings under either set, and then in the winter, bump that up with UA Cold Gear or another base layer. Both of those will keep you warm when wet, as noted above, that's really an important point. Since the water temp only swings about 6 degrees here between summer and winter, that's enough to tune for cold. The 2-piece 4E Arctic set has the advantage in the summer though, in that you can hold off on putting the top on until you're really ready to suit up - 80 degrees air temp in full undergarments isn't fun. If you want a one-piece, the 4E Halo, although pricy, is an awesome undergarment.

I may have to check out the 4E Arctic, see if anyone in my local dive club has one I could try or something... If you say it's a touch cooler than the TF, that might be just the ticket, because while I say the TF was fine in the summer, what I mean is I wasnt cold, but it WAS a little too warm, especially on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom