DUI zipseals & zipgloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abmyers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DUI suit with latex seals and backups. I want to get zipgloves but the thought of replacing a glove for $140 is crazy. Does any one know a source for learning to replace the blue glove ($5 at Home Depot) instead of the whole zip glove? Along those lines is there a source for either knock off zip seals (neck) or a way to replace just the latex/silicone without replacing the zip portion?

Since the zip Gloves mean you have no inner seal, why not just put on a regular seal-mounted dry glove system, like the Vikings? That way, if a glove tears, you don't flood your dry suit.

The other problem with Zipgloves is you have to finish getting geared up while wearing them, which can be a pain. It is possible to leave your arms out of the sleeves for a while and later wiggle into them, but having the use of your hands until you're about to splash is a nice thing.

is there a way to replace just the latex/silicone without replacing the zip portion?

Latex yes, silicone no. I glued a pair of gloves to my extant Zip Seals with contact cement so that I have Zip Gloves with an inner seal.

Ok, so if I razor blade/goo gone away the glue on the plastic connected to the actual latex seal I can just glue on a new one? Suggestions on which ones fit, how to trim and what glue to use?

Why can't I glue silicone to the plastic rings? Something to do with the glue not holding silicone?

And with dry gloves, same thing? I can just trim some blue Showa gloves and glue them onto the plastic ring that the latex seals are glued to?

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 09:08 PM ----------

Since the zip Gloves mean you have no inner seal, why not just put on a regular seal-mounted dry glove system, like the Vikings? That way, if a glove tears, you don't flood your dry suit.

You mean remove the zip seal system altogether? I have sitech round system on another drysuit and I don't love the bulk of the rings.

Ok, so if I razor blade/goo gone away the glue on the plastic connected to the actual latex seal I can just glue on a new one? Suggestions on which ones fit, how to trim and what glue to use?

Why can't I glue silicone to the plastic rings? Something to do with the glue not holding silicone?

And with dry gloves, same thing? I can just trim some blue Showa gloves and glue them onto the plastic ring that the latex seals are glued to?

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 09:08 PM ----------

You mean remove the zip seal system altogether? I have sitech round system on another drysuit and I don't love the bulk of the rings.

If you have ZipSeals and want to use them with seals and gloves, trim-to-fit gloves and contact-cement them to seals where they overlap the plastic rings.

I tried several SI-Tech systems and finally gave up and went back to home-made Zip Gloves and seals/wrist dams.

Thanks Evad. Why did you say "silicone no". Why can't I replace an old latex seal with silicone (gluing to plastic zipseal ring)?

Thanks Evad. Why did you say "silicone no". Why can't I replace an old latex seal with silicone (gluing to plastic zipseal ring)?

You won't be able to glue it.

-

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 11:26 PM ----------

If you want a quick description of how to successively do it, ask me tomorrow. Konking out now.

To clarify, Silicone doesn't take glue. That why they are normally mechanically locked in place.

Back
Top Bottom