Drysuits for the big and tall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PolsVoice

Reaction score
I've done a thread search for drysuits and tall people and have found a lot of useful information. However, all the tall drysuit threads seem to cover people from 6'-6'4". I'm 6'6" and float between 255-265lbs, have a 50" chest, and a 40" waist. I'm also fairly long in the torso. Bare, DUI, Andy's, Oceaner, Harvey's and Whites only accomodate to 6'4" (6'5" in the case of Whites and Harvey's XXXL). The only company that has a drysuit for 6'6"+, is Barefoot International, however they look like their suits are more designed for surface watersports.

Are there any companies that have stock sizing for the big and tall? Or do I fall into the more expensive custom suit category (can't afford that).

TIA for any suggestions,

-Pols.

Custom. Even if you could find a stock suit for your height, it probably wouldn't fit your torso.

Custom prices vary greatly. Don't judge everything by DUI. I have an Ocean Vendors kevlar suit that is fully custom and cost less than a stock DUI. Thats only one option.
You have to decide how badly you want to dive and how warm you want to be.

MechDiver:
Custom. Even if you could find a stock suit for your height, it probably wouldn't fit your torso.

Custom prices vary greatly. Don't judge everything by DUI. I have an Ocean Vendors kevlar suit that is fully custom and cost less than a stock DUI. Thats only one option.
You have to decide how badly you want to dive and how warm you want to be.

Agreed. Took some drysuit training courses, and after swimming around in rentals, knew immediately that the fit of the suit was paramount. Got a custom suit for my nonstandard body structure. It fits like a charm and doesn't feel like I'm swiming in a gigantic trashbag. If you really need a custom suit, get a custom suit, otherwise you may have dropped a good chunk of change, and have a suit that doesn't make you comfortable. Shop around!

Send a P.M. to Bob3. I got a custom suit from him earlier this year for a lot less than most stock suits. He has, at least, Vikings and Poseidons plus possibly some other lines. Great guy to deal with also.

One word -- Custom.

I am somewhat similar in size to you (6'5", about 240lbs, 38 inch waist, 48 chest...but long legged/short-torsoed)....just bought a new drysuit. I found problems with most stock XL and XXLs -- the XLs were too short; the XXLs were tall enough, but were built for someone with a 50 inch waist....

There are a couple model Vikings that are stock off the rack that go to 6'6".
You'll want a size 05 Pro 1000 or ProTech/Combat suit.
With any luck you may even find one of the Viking ProTech/Combat suits with the stretchy material, those have a front zip.

Bob3:
You'll want a size 05 Pro 1000 or ProTech/Combat suit.
With any luck you may even find one of the Viking ProTech/Combat suits with the stretchy material, those have a front zip.

where can I find these suits? more importantly are they neopreme or shell suits...

-Pols

PolsVoice:
where can I find these suits? more importantly are they neopreme or shell suits...
They land in the shell category. The model suits you'll want are vulcanized rubber, not overly heavy and very fast drying, durable & chemical/contaminant resistant. You can patch 'em in an hour & don't even have to take the suit off. They're a favorite of Public Safety Divers.
To try one on you'll have to track down a Viking dealer. I don't know of any down your way offhand but if you want to call the company their toll free number is (800) 344-4458.
Of course there's always mail order if you can't find a local dealer. :wink:

http://www.vikingdiving.com

PolsVoice:
I've done a thread search for drysuits and tall people and have found a lot of useful information. However, all the tall drysuit threads seem to cover people from 6'-6'4". I'm 6'6" and float between 255-265lbs, have a 50" chest, and a 40" waist. I'm also fairly long in the torso. Bare, DUI, Andy's, Oceaner, Harvey's and Whites only accomodate to 6'4" (6'5" in the case of Whites and Harvey's XXXL). The only company that has a drysuit for 6'6"+, is Barefoot International, however they look like their suits are more designed for surface watersports.

Are there any companies that have stock sizing for the big and tall? Or do I fall into the more expensive custom suit category (can't afford that).

TIA for any suggestions,

-Pols.
hey im 6'-6' 260 i dive a whites rear entry shell this suit is very affordable and fits me perfectly you should be able to purchase the the suit & undergarmets for under $1000 dont get me wrong a custom dui is a superior suit but is triple the price my advice buy the whites if you are just diving recreationally if you plan on doing serious tech diving and money isnt a problem go the dui good luck hope this helps

Dude, I think "triple the price" is a slight exaggeration.....

If you shop around, you can find a new customized DUI for a lot less than you think.

Of course, DUI's don't have those cool bears on the suit......Grrrrrrr.....;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom