Using your drysuit as a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink

Contributor
Reaction score
I figure this should start a lively discussion. How many of us actually use their drysuit as a BC during a dive? BC use on the surface is ok.

jcclink:
How many of us actually use their drysuit as a BC during a dive?

Remember - once you put air into the suit it becomes a BC, like it or not.

Don't these two sentences contradict each other? Seems like you have already concluded that every one does...I say I don't like to use the drysuit for bouyancy (I think that is what you are really asking, right?)

I only have about 60 dives with a drysuit. At depth, I don't like to have anything but the bare minimum of air because I do not have the confidence that I would be able to vent excess air (used for bouyancy) if I had to ascend rapidly (other than dumping air through a seal and flooding the suit).

JAG

You're right about the sentences I guess. All fixed. So the minimum air required to avoid suit sqeeze is ok. A little more air just keeps you warmer. It doesn't have to be alot. How is your trim at 15 feet depth with no air in suit, no air in BC & 500 psi in tank?

And those who use their suit as a BC stick out like a sore thumb at depth. LOL.

At first as a learning method is OK. Once in a while as practice for redundant buoyancy control is acceptable.

For everyday diving, though, just enough to remove the squeeze--and perhaps an extra squirt for warmth if you didn't wear enough undergarment for the temp.

Besides being awkward, using the suit as a BC looks silly.

theskull

jcclink:
You're right about the sentences I guess. All fixed. So the minimum air required to avoid suit sqeeze is ok. A little more air just keeps you warmer. It doesn't have to be alot. How is your trim at 15 feet depth with no air in suit, no air in BC & 500 psi in tank?

Mine's good (considering how hard it is to maintain proper trim after you've found out how bad it actually is via video). I dive with aluminum tanks, so I'm never very surprised when I get a little butt-light with little to no air in the tank, but I've found I can manage it with my leg position.

jcclink:
I figure this should start a lively discussion. How many of us actually use their drysuit as a BC during a dive? BC use on the surface is ok.

As a rule, I use my BC for bouyancy and use enough air in the drysuit for warmth and to avoid squeeze. But, I've had my drysuit zipper blow out in 60' of ocean and had my BC fail as well, within a couple of days of the zipper blow-out. So my thought is that it's not a bad thing to at least practice both options.

We're not talking Pilsbury Doughboy. Just a little extra air. If you have much air in the BC at depth you're probably overweighted. It may in part depend on the type of drysuit. A neoprene suit naturally compresses & more air is required to maintain neutrality. My experience has been with DUI crushed neoprene & trilaminate material. And I only have one hand to work the dive gear. The other one is glued to the camera.

I have found that I never need to add air to my BC at depth and only to my dry suit to avoid squeeze when I am properly weighted. Just a few quick squirts at depth into my suit and I am avoiding squeeze while at the same time, without trying to, staying nuetral at depth. Ofcourse, I don't carry a ton of stuff with me and don't generally dive deeper than 80-90 ft while diving dry. Strictly recreational diving. No tech/wreck gear so my weight issues are much easier to manage at depth. Perhaps if i had a pony bottle and lots of other gear I would need more lift?

jcclink:
I go against the grain. I wrap myself in a couple of 100lb wings and use them as a drysuit. I installed a snorkel as a p-valve, and since I dive in tropical waters most of the time, I don't even mind that I still get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom