Buying Used Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I've started my research into dry suits and am curious, can used suits be adjusted/tailored?

I know new ones can be made to size, but, some of the new suits are pretty expensive like DUI.

However, I've seen some nice suits for sale on here and other places and wonder how it will work out in the long run since I am short, but larger (not fat) than the norm at 5' 4" and 170 pounds.

Thanks

Brian

SOunds to me that a stock size will not fit you. Be very careful buying a used suit. It may seem like a good deal, but if it doesnt fit, is it??? Take it from me, just buck up, spend the money on a good fitting custom suit and you will be much happier. In the last year and a half, I have bought two used suits, neither of which I liked the fit very much, have since sold them, and just recently ordered a custom Andys drysuit. Just FYI, I have owned a couple other drysuits, and the only ones I have been happy with are custom suits, measured just for me. Some people can fit a stock suit very well. However, I am not one of those...

LUBOLD8431:
SOunds to me that a stock size will not fit you. Be very careful buying a used suit. It may seem like a good deal, but if it doesnt fit, is it??? ...

So, basically they cannot be modified?

Brian

Ive never heard of someone who will take a used drysuit and make modifications to the sizing. So, no. Get yourself a nice custom suit...

Have you ever tried on a DUI suit?

The telescoping nature of their suits allows for a range of sizing in terms of height. Generally, resizing is only needed if you have exceptionally long or short arms/legs for that size range.

Resizing can be done. I think DUI charges 90 dollars for shortening arms or legs up to 2 inches (Arms or legs of the suit, not the diver. I am sure the latter is a bit more costly and takes longer.).

JAG

jagfish:
Arms or legs of the suit, not the diver. I am sure the latter is a bit more costly and takes longer.).

JAG

Damn Jag, and I was hoping they could make me 5' 8" or taller.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom