Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a wetsuit? wetsuit shampoo?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Question Cleaning a wetsuit? wetsuit shampoo?

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'll be damned if I can find it using the search. Anyhoo...

How do people here clean their wetsuits? I have a brand new suit, worn on about 12 dives, never peed in, and it is starting to stink already.

I've seen "wetsuit shampoo" online but I have no idea how you actually use this product.

A friend of mine claims that you can actually put a wetsuit through a washing machine on gentle cycle but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

This is how I was told to clean my suit by Carolyn @ Liquid Fit. I copied this from the website. It has certainly worked for me.
    Cleaning: Thoroughly rinse your suit after the dive. Use cool or warm water, never hot. Never use the washing machine. Check with your local dive shop to purchase a proper cleaner. Never, use laundry detergent on your suit. We suggest a product called LOC by Amway. (We have no connection with Amway.) To rid your suit of odors, we recommend a couple of caps of an antibacterial mouthwash (Listerine) in your final rinse water. This is also great for your booties. On long dive trips, we carry a small bottle of Febreeze and spritz our suit each evening.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by krick
    I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'll be damned if I can find it using the search. Anyhoo...

How do people here clean their wetsuits? I have a brand new suit, worn on about 12 dives, never peed in, and it is starting to stink already.

I've seen "wetsuit shampoo" online but I have no idea how you actually use this product.

A friend of mine claims that you can actually put a wetsuit through a washing machine on gentle cycle but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
    I,ve heard that baking soda will take any smell out of neoprene.You,ll get finally past the point and wont care about the smell no more.May be the urin is the secret to desinfection??

Registered

Has not set a "status"

krick thanks for the question I had the same issue last week because I dove back to back 3 days last week and I was on the road so i couldn't air dry it.

Taffy would just the listerine and not that LOC from amway work???
    be safe and have fun.
    People say "learn from your mistakes"
    I say "learn from others mistakes it's cheaper"
    Rangers lead the way.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Three little words.

Sink The Stink. They are these little packets we have at our shop that are about a 1.00 and you put three in a water solution soak your suit then let it dry.
    Graphic Designer / Diver
    http://www.josharonoff.com

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Hey Ranger, the Listerine would work if all you needed was to deodorize the suit. You use the LOC to get stains and such out. Someone once told me that you could also use, Simply Green.

SWT

Master Instructor

stop me b4i post again . . .

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronoff
    Three little words: Sink The Stink. They are these little packets we have at our shop that are about a 1.00 and you put three in a water solution soak your suit then let it dry.
    I've used and like Sink the Stink too. I bought the bottle size. I use it after those hot Summer dive days in our cool cool rivers. Shake well first, mind you, as with any anti-odor product. And don't rinse the neoprene after soaking in StS - it continues to work as the material dries.
    "using a Lycra skin under your wetsuit will cause a loss in thermal protection of the suit" - scuba.com
    And the SB Politeness Award goes to . . . Doc Vikingo, for "I find this assertion not compelling."

"You should always be prepared to discover a new wreck, including the boat you came out on." -- Akimbo

The measure of a good dive plan is its impermeability. Poor dive plans tend to be water-soluble.

Registered

is Livin the Dream..

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by eponym
    I've used and like Sink the Stink too. I bought the bottle size. I use it after those hot Summer dive days in our cool cool rivers. Shake well first, mind you, as with any anti-odor product. And don't rinse the neoprene after soaking in StS - it continues to work as the material dries.
    Eponym...just curious, what exactly is a hydroperoxyl addict? HO²?
    Thomas

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed psychiatrist is our "friend."

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I have used a product called "Odor Eliminator" made for Tri Star Industries (www.atmosklear.com) that takes the stink out of everything I have ever used it on. Great stuff...kind of like a super febreeze without the perfume.

Frank

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Will Simple Green get the stink out?

Works well for lots of other things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast