Cleaning a wetsuit? wetsuit shampoo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'll be damned if I can find it using the search. Anyhoo...

How do people here clean their wetsuits? I have a brand new suit, worn on about 12 dives, never peed in, and it is starting to stink already.

I've seen "wetsuit shampoo" online but I have no idea how you actually use this product.

A friend of mine claims that you can actually put a wetsuit through a washing machine on gentle cycle but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

This is how I was told to clean my suit by Carolyn @ Liquid Fit. I copied this from the website. It has certainly worked for me.
Cleaning: Thoroughly rinse your suit after the dive. Use cool or warm water, never hot. Never use the washing machine. Check with your local dive shop to purchase a proper cleaner. Never, use laundry detergent on your suit. We suggest a product called LOC by Amway. (We have no connection with Amway.) To rid your suit of odors, we recommend a couple of caps of an antibacterial mouthwash (Listerine) in your final rinse water. This is also great for your booties. On long dive trips, we carry a small bottle of Febreeze and spritz our suit each evening.

krick:
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'll be damned if I can find it using the search. Anyhoo...

How do people here clean their wetsuits? I have a brand new suit, worn on about 12 dives, never peed in, and it is starting to stink already.

I've seen "wetsuit shampoo" online but I have no idea how you actually use this product.

A friend of mine claims that you can actually put a wetsuit through a washing machine on gentle cycle but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
I,ve heard that baking soda will take any smell out of neoprene.You,ll get finally past the point and wont care about the smell no more.May be the urin is the secret to desinfection?? :wink:

krick thanks for the question I had the same issue last week because I dove back to back 3 days last week and I was on the road so i couldn't air dry it.

Taffy would just the listerine and not that LOC from amway work???

Hey Ranger, the Listerine would work if all you needed was to deodorize the suit. You use the LOC to get stains and such out. Someone once told me that you could also use, Simply Green.

SWT

Jaronoff:
Three little words: Sink The Stink. They are these little packets we have at our shop that are about a 1.00 and you put three in a water solution soak your suit then let it dry.
I've used and like Sink the Stink too. I bought the bottle size. I use it after those hot Summer dive days in our cool cool rivers. Shake well first, mind you, as with any anti-odor product. And don't rinse the neoprene after soaking in StS - it continues to work as the material dries.

eponym:
I've used and like Sink the Stink too. I bought the bottle size. I use it after those hot Summer dive days in our cool cool rivers. Shake well first, mind you, as with any anti-odor product. And don't rinse the neoprene after soaking in StS - it continues to work as the material dries.

Eponym...just curious, what exactly is a hydroperoxyl addict? HO²? :wink:

I have used a product called "Odor Eliminator" made for Tri Star Industries (www.atmosklear.com) that takes the stink out of everything I have ever used it on. Great stuff...kind of like a super febreeze without the perfume.

Frank

Will Simple Green get the stink out?

Works well for lots of other things

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom