Stupid Wetsuit Tricks - airbrushing a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheNitroxinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I looked all over the place on the internet, and never found anything on the subject of airbrushing a wetsuit. Since SCUBA and airbrushing are two of my hobbies, I wanted to see if I could bring them together. Its obvious you can silk screen a wetsuit (they all come with brand names silk screened on them), but setting up everything for multi-colored graphics is a pain. I figured airbrushing would work, I just needed to find a way to set the paint (heat setting being no good, I believe you'll melt your suit if you follow the Createx T-Shirt acrylic instructions).

I wound up using SAFE-T from Coast Airbrush, and painted on a .5 mm suit. Its been in the water, I let it sit around without cleaning it for half a day, and then hosed it off. My graphics stayed on, and they're not distorted because I painted on the suit while it was stretched (I stuck it full of towels). Now I just need to put together something cool for the front, instead of a goof-around test picture on the thigh (I did a picture of a shark sucker that I saw in Lembeh).

Mind you, I'm not a professional airbrusher, and I have no interest in painting anybody else's wetsuit. But, if you're interested in painting your or someone else's wetsuit, I can give you a more detailed description if you're interested.

wow... that remora sure looks real... good job

Looks great. You sure you don't want to paint other suits? May be able to make a living out of it like the folks that paint bikes.

I'd like to have some little crabs painted in the crotch of my wet suit.

The Kracken:
:rofl:

that remorra would actually make a great scuba related tattoo. I am not one that has been inked, but that would be the kind of thing I would go for.

Aloha Nitroxinator, wow this is good stuff. Yes, I do want more information, as I can imagine a few projects to use this on.
Thanks Turtleguy

Hmmm, that could be tough, the T-Shirt airbrushes typically have a .5mm nozzle. Now, if you wanted a big crab getting a hold of a particular hose...

Aloha Nitroxinator, wow this is good stuff. Yes, I do want more information, as I can imagine a few projects to use this on.

I'll write something up and hopefully get it posted this morning. I'm waiting on a dumpster so I can clear my patio. That'll give me room so I can paint something on the front of my wetsuit, I'm figuring on an octopus bursting out of the chest cavity ala alien.

Great job! I can't wait to see where you go with this.

I'll echo the sentiment that this could be a nice little niche side business...

Back
Top Bottom