Hyperstretch Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS is suggesting that one should go down one size from a neoprene Henderson wetsuit size when purchasing a gold core or hyperstretch Henderson wetsuit. For example, if one had a perfect fit in a MEDIUM neoprene Henderson wetsuit, one should purchase a SMALL hyperstretch or gold core Henderson wetsuit. I had never heard of this convention and wondered if anyone has experience with the various Henderson product line and could comment. If it matters, we're looking at 3mm suits.

Hoping for quick feedback so I can buy something before our Blackbeard's trip next month. Thanks for your help.

I had the use of a 7mm Hyperstetch last summer. According to Henderson's sizing chart, I should wear a XXL, but I used an XL. Beings that it was the Hyperstretch, it was extremely comfortable and not restrictive at all. Definitely the most comfortable wetsuit I have ever worn.
I was using it in Hawaii in June. It was supposed to be a 3mm but I was sent the wrong one with no time to exchange it. Very, very warm in Oahu's 79 degree waters. But again, extremely comfortable and easy to scoop water in the neck when I got too hot. Of course I had to roll the top down on the boat so as not to overheat.
The two things I do NOT like about the Hyperstretch are:

1 - Price.

2 - Velcro eats it like Langoliers. I'd be afraid that if your not extremely careful with all your velcro, the life of the suit would be greatly reduced.

I have also heard that the Hyperstretch has a shorter life than traditional neoprene or even other manufaturers super-stretch materials. Also due to the nature of the Hyperstretch, warmth is sacrficed due to greater compression. Just things I have heard. Since I do not own one, I just pass that on.

I'd have to say your LDS right on. I would normally buy a 3XL wetsuit and thus I bought a Tilos Hyperstretch 3XL....it could definetly be one size smaller, but you live and learn.

Note: all makes and models are different, so I'd recommend trying it on to be sure.

Agreed. Its hard to tell the "perfect fit" when dry, so I'd follow the LDS advice. I am abut 5' 11", 165 lbs and wear a med-lg in other suits, but wear a small in the 3mm hyperstretch. Its a great suit (but now I can't gain any weight).

I have a 5m goldcore and a 3 m aquasuede hyperstretch. Both of these are one size down from what the charts say I should wear. I just bought the hyperstretch....it very comfortable but definitely less warm and the thing takes days to dry.

I'm 6'3 and thin; Henderson chart says I should be a "Long L" but I wear a Medium 3MM Hyperstretch jumpsuit just fine. You will love this suit.

I normally wear a ML to L wetsuit depending on the manufacturer. In a 7/5mm henderson hyperstretch I wear a small. My wife went from a size 8 to a size 6 wetsuit. So in all actuality we went down 2 sizes. The best bet will be to try one on and see how it fits.

You will not regret getting a hyperstretch suit. The fit is absolutely amazing and the ease of mobility is great. As mentioned above hyperstretch and velcro do not mix well. The only real problem is the velcro on your BC, to counter this you can always wear a T-shirt over your suit.

Back
Top Bottom