Need advice getting WETsuit for cold water. Pls Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I have a 5mm semi-dry wetsuit, but I moved to colder waters and it doesn't get the work done anymore. I have been using rentals so far, but I wanna buy one now.

My mindset is, since I will buy a wetsuit for coldwater, I should get the most insulated one.

So, I found out the oneill 7000 J-type that has an internal jacket of an extra 5mm. Making a protection of 12mm on the core area.

Do you have any other suggestions? The ones that fit well without letting water get in. Like, with elastic cuffs.

What do you use and you believe keeps you warm at 57 degrees AND UP?

I thought about getting a shorty wetsuit, like a 3/2 or 2/1 and just wearing under my 5mm. But I am not sure it will hold the cold.

What do you say?

PS: PLEASE DON'T REPLY TELLING ME TO GET DRY SUIT. CAN'T AFFORD IT. Thanks

Thanks a lot

Depends on your own ability to stay warm. For that temp of water, the most comfortable wetsuit I have ever used is the Henderson Hyperstretch. It is not as warm as other 7 mils, but it is by far the most comfortable. It is stretchy enough that you can still wear a shorty over or under it to help keep the torso warm, yet still be comfortable.

Just my 2 cents worth

I have a henderson Hyperstrestch 7mm, and i bought the 7/5mm hyperstretch vest with hood for underneath it, keeps me nice and warm, although i start to feel the cold in 52F or less, as said it is extremtly comfortable. might be another option to the shorty underneath a wetsuit...

I have the Henderson 7 mil semi-dry, with gold-core, hyperstretch and an attached hood.

It's fairly easy to put on.
It's quite comfortable to wear during the dive.
It dries almost immediately after use.
It keeps me warm down to the upper 40's and I can spend up to 30 minutes in the water down into the lower 40's.
The seals around my head, wrists and ankles pretty much keep the water out. Very little, if any, actually gets in.

Two negatives: 1) it costs a lot for a wetsuit; and 2) the hyperstretch part of the wetsuit pills pretty easily from my BC strap (started after the first time I used it).

Whatever you do, good luck.

Michael

Michael, how are the cuff on ankles and wrists? Are they tight, so water can't ge in.
I have a semo-dry wetsuit, but the cuffs are not tight.

divebrasil:
Michael, how are the cuff on ankles and wrists? Are they tight, so water can't ge in.
I have a semo-dry wetsuit, but the cuffs are not tight.

At the ankles and wrists, I'd say it's fairly tight. It's not so tight that it cuts off your circulation, of course, but it's tight enough that water really doesn't get in. It's not a guarantee and it doesn't keep all water out. But there is really very little water.

I don't know what other peoples' experiences are with this wetsuit, but it seems to work pretty well, except for that pilling issue I mentioned.

Michael

Mares also makes a decent one. I haven't had mine out for a long cold dive but it keeps me warm and somewhat dry.

I dive in cold water up here in late spring--approx. 50 degrees F. I don't use a dry suit. I use a Henderson gold core 7mm wetsuit, 3/5 gold core hooded vest UNDER the 7mm, and 5mm Henderson'core warmer' OVER the 7mm. This combo is plenty warm. Then, as the temperature gets better in early June ( approx. 60 degrees F) I take off the 'core warmer' and just wear the 7mm and vest. Finally, when the water gets' hot'--(68 degrees+)-- I get rid of the vest and just use the 7mm. Works for me--

divebrasil:
Hi,
I have a 5mm semi-dry wetsuit, but I moved to colder waters and it doesn't get the work done anymore. I have been using rentals so far, but I wanna buy one now....

What do you use and you believe keeps you warm at 57 degrees AND UP?

I thought about getting a shorty wetsuit, like a 3/2 or 2/1 and just wearing under my 5mm. But I am not sure it will hold the cold.

Thanks a lot

Your profile says you are in the "LA Area". So your a local. First off it does get colder then 57 here. Even now in mid summer it is high 60's at the surface but go down 60 feet or so and it's chilly and can get into the low 50's In our location most divers still do not own dry suits although in the winter many divers want them. This time of year I know some dry suit owners who are diving wet

What to buy depends on your body shape and size. tall thin people get cold easy people with a few extra pounds stay warmer.
Assuming you are middle ground, this time of year a 7mm full suit with a hooded vest under it and gloves and booties is enough for most divers. Lately a few (20% maybe) are skipping the hood on shallow dives. Others are using a plain hood with no attached vest. Not me I'm just leaving the zipper down a bit.

In the winter a 2/3 mm shorty under the full 7mm suit might
be a good idea. I use a 2/3 vest uder a full 7mm. But you DO want the 7mm arms and legs. At depth in winter I feel the chill soaking in through the arms and legs

In short I'd suggest a 7mm full suit and then adjusting it be possibly adding a lay under it or not depending on the time of year. That's what most people do.

As you know "fit matters" but in our cool water it really matters.
You can get by with less "rubber" if the fit alows no water to circulate

If you live in LA you are lucky. Suits are cheap here as there are so many dive shops and local brands of suits that competition dives the prices through the floor. PM me and I'll give you a few leads. You canbuy a good 7mm full suit for $100. or you could spend $250.

You really don't want one of those farmer john/jacket combos that put 14mm of rubber over the torso unless you know that you really are one of those people who are always cold when others are not cold. Those double suites cause you to wear a gazillion pounds of weight. I know someone with one of those suits who need 38 pounds, yikes! No wonder he will ony dive off boats

You might also try posting a question in the So Cal area of scubaboard asking simply "what do you all wear for wetsuits?"
but I'l tell you the answer will be a 7mm full suit with possible layers under it dependingon time of year.

Just came across this thread now... Perhaps you have already purchased something. If not, here's my input. I also live in the LA area and love my Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 for local dives. I was at 52 degrees over the weekend, and while it was a little chilly, it wasn't bad- not at all prohibitive. Plus I was only wearing a beanie - no hood. I would highly recommend that you check out the diversdiscount.com auction items on eBay. I have purchased both 3 and 7 ml Hendersons at unbelievable prices that way. Plus customer service has been phenomenal. I have even eliminated shipping costs by going to their shop in Rancho Santa Margarita for pick up - since you live in LA it might be worth it for you too. Brand new, full warranty - the whole enchilada. Hope you check it out.
Good luck,
Veronica

Back
Top Bottom