What's the best way to clean my wetsuit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Fisher

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Scubaboard...

I need to know the best way to clean my wetsuit. I will be on a shark diving expedition, where we will be chumming and I will be bathing in blood & guts for days.

One person told me to soak the wetsuit in LEMON JOY instead of the usual "sink the stink" or wetsuit shampoo.

Please help me find the best way to clean it, so I am not attracting predators on my future dives.

(I know most Scubaboard members are against shark chumming/feeding, but help me out on this one...for my buddies sake....)

Thank You,
Bill

I just use Wool-Lite to wash wetsuits with. You might want to consider a soft scrub brush. Let it dry thoroughly and then repeat once more.

I usually start by hosing it off while haning (in your case to get the last remnants of guts off of it). Then i soak it in either the tub or the washer in some very mild detergent or Wool lite. A soft scrub brush works great...make sure you move the zippers up and down a lot while its soaking. make sure you work both sides of the suit, turn it inside out and back again. And then just hang to dry....(invest in one of those really fat hangers if you haven't already, they work great.)

Avalanche:
I usually start by hosing it off while haning (in your case to get the last remnants of guts off of it). Then i soak it in either the tub or the washer in some very mild detergent or Wool lite. A soft scrub brush works great...make sure you move the zippers up and down a lot while its soaking. make sure you work both sides of the suit, turn it inside out and back again. And then just hang to dry....(invest in one of those really fat hangers if you haven't already, they work great.)
I only go to this much effort if I'm gonna' store it. I dive mostly dry suit now, but when going wet, I just drop the suit in a tub of fresh water/sink the stink (I'm addicted to the smell), then put it back on wet then next day.
But then, I'm basically lazy.

Listerine cool mint (or flavor of your choice!)

I dump some of this into a basin, and just let the wetsuit/ hood/ gloves soak in it. The Listerine kills the bacteria, and it smells WONDERFUL when you are done.

Easy to find. Relatively cheap. Gets rid of bad breath, too!!!

detroit diver:
Listerine cool mint (or flavor of your choice!)

I dump some of this into a basin, and just let the wetsuit/ hood/ gloves soak in it. The Listerine kills the bacteria, and it smells WONDERFUL when you are done.

Easy to find. Relatively cheap. Gets rid of bad breath, too!!!
Yep! Listerine gets my vote also!

Sink the stink is an active bacteria that eats the bacteria that causes fowl odors, but odors that originate in the human body, so it won't work. Wetsuit shampoo will work as good as the lemon joy will, not at all! These are mostly degreasers designed to eliminate dirt.

Sorry this is a bit late, I havbe always done my wetsuits in the washing machine. Make sure you use Woolite dark and a big squirt of Listerine and use the delicate cycle. In this case I would do this twice, turning the suit inside out for the second run. Yes, yes, do the zippers several times while in suddsy water to make sure all particles are out from it.

maria

sink the stink is an active bacteria that eats the bacteria that causes fowl odors

I couldn't resist, even though this thread is ages old. So, does sink the stink work against non-poultry odors as well? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom