Zip Seal type seal on other brand Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am contemplating the purchase of a Dry Suit within the next six to nine months. I have done a fair amount of research and will probably get a tri-laminate suit and not any of the neoprene suits. I am fairly settled on getting most of the things like a pee valve, internal suspenders, quality valves, self donning. These things are obvious to me. I am hung up on Zip Seals.

The idea of a field replacable seal seems to me to be a good idea. The ability to change from wrist seals to dry gloves also seems practical. If it doesn't feel uncomfortable a replacable neck seal seems like a good idea. The only hang up is the price! DUI suits while they are well made are uniformly more expensive than most of the competition, and that is before adding the Zip Seals. Heck, when compared to some Dry Suits the price difference is almost enough to get Double E8-130's, bands, and a manifold... Well OK not quite that much but the price difference is still considerable.

My big question is not weather the Zip Seals are a good idea, I have already reached the conclusion that they have merit, but rather, are they worth the entire difference between a good quality suit from another manufacturer and the price of the complete package on a DUI suit? A torn seal can curtail a dive trip but the cost of having the Zip Seals on the suit and having spares on the boat can pay for more than a few dive trips. Is it worth it?

Are there any competing technologies available on other suits? I have seen some large bulky cuffs that make dry golves work with other suits. Is there anything more streamlined like the Zip Seal? I don't want a closet full of Dry Suits, I want to get this one right the first time.

Your help is appreciated.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
My big question is not weather the Zip Seals are a good idea, I have already reached the conclusion that they have merit, but rather, are they worth the entire difference between a good quality suit from another manufacturer and the price of the complete package on a DUI suit?
NO!

A torn seal can curtail a dive trip but the cost of having the Zip Seals on the suit and having spares on the boat can pay for more than a few dive trips. Is it worth it?
Your help is appreciated.
Mark Vlahos

Carry a roll of duct tape and replacement seals learn to change them yourself. I can change out seal and be back in the water in four hours. I would just tape up the seal for the first dive and change them that night. No lost trip!!!!

Hall

Back
Top Bottom