Wet suit has been cut...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
can it be repaired? I bought a bunch of scuba gear frm a friend and one of the wetsuits was cut on the seam at the ankle. He couldn't get his foot out so he cut the suit. What is the procedure to repair this?

any good wet suit repair shope can fix that. I ripped my ankle seal in a cold water suit and got it fixed.

Ask your LDS for a suit repair shop in your area, im sure they can help you out.

Andy

Get yourself some Aquaseal Seal Cement - the black stuff in the can, *not* the stuff in a tube. [It says "Industrial Strength Neoprene Cement"]
Follow the directions carefully - warning - after the second drying period, when you go to stick the two sides together, be very careful you have things lined up just the way you want 'em, 'cause as soon as the sides touch each other they are irrevocably welded there.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Get yourself some Aquaseal Seal Cement - the black stuff in the can, *not* the stuff in a tube. [It says "Industrial Strength Neoprene Cement"]......

Rick...where does one find the industrial strength version? Beast has a 3-corner tear that need repairing.

Don't confuse the "aquaseal" with the "seal cement". They're both put out by McNett, the same folks that do the seadrops, mirazyme, etc.

Seal Cement is just high quality wetsuit cement.
Aquaseal does NOT work in high stretch areas because it doesn't have the same stretch coefficient, your repair will always tear out right along side.
If you follow the directions on the can you can get excellent results. Biggest mistake made is to try to assemble the repair too quickly, the glued areas have to be completely dry to the touch before smushing them together.
A tad of seam tape over the edge of a high stretch area will do wonders, but the stuff is hard to find.

Originally posted by Dee

Rick...where does one find the industrial strength version? Beast has a 3-corner tear that need repairing.
Last can I got was at PCDC
http://www.pcdivecenter.com/
I don't think they have an online shop, but I'll bet they'd send you some if you ask.
Interestingly, I couldn't find the seal cement on the McNett site.. odd, as "Seal Cement" is listed as a McNett trademark right on the can.
If you haven't found any by the time I get back from Cayman [25th] I'll do some more research - If you do find a good source please post it. I'd hate to think I have the last can of this stuff in existence... on the other hand, I could sell it by the drop!
Rick

Thanks for the info and the link.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

Last can I got was at PCDC
http://www.pcdivecenter.com/
I don't think they have an online shop, but I'll bet they'd send you some if you ask.
Interestingly, I couldn't find the seal cement on the McNett site.. odd, as "Seal Cement" is listed as a McNett trademark right on the can.
If you haven't found any by the time I get back from Cayman [25th] I'll do some more research - If you do find a good source please post it. I'd hate to think I have the last can of this stuff in existence... on the other hand, I could sell it by the drop!
Rick

Thanks for the info.

Not in any hurry. The tear is behind his left hip, torn on a too-long screw on his BP. But the weather is warming up and his 5/3 suit will soon be retired for the season.

I'll check back with ya when we get back from our trip 3/30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom