Whites Nexis dry suit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Bought the Whites Nexis yesterday and made 2 dives on it. Nice package for the price including rock boots, undies, socks, LP hose and bag. The only thing I didn't care for is the placement of the exhaust valve. To best vent, it assumes an arm position that matches venting your BC by lifting the hose over your head - forearm up. This is fine if that is how you vent your BC, but I vent mine (wings) with the rear valve most of the time. So I'd rather just lift my elbow up in a horizontal position and not have to raise my forearm up. No big thing, though, and I like that the valve is low profile. The inflate valve is LP restricted flow, so it inflates very slowly and is almost silent, which I guess will just take some getting used to.
I really like the cold-water neck dam and the wrist cuffs. With my dry gloves and hood on, NO latex is exposed. I also like the leg pocket system (comes standard with one pocket).
Heres a link to the best deal I could find on the Internet for the package, http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_DrySuits.asp although I paid 100.00 more from my LDS (after shipping, cost me about 60.00 more. Worth it to me to buy locally).
Overall, a nice deal for the complete package, IMHO.

They're great. I've been diving Whites for a long time and love the suits and their service. Happy diving!

PS - the thermals are designed to be worn right against your skin for best warmth. And if your feet get cold - wear the polar socks, then put neoprene socks over them. mmmm....toasty......

opiniongirl:
PS - the thermals are designed to be worn right against your skin for best warmth.
Just wondering, I wore polys under the thermals yesterday. Are you saying that I would be warmer without the polys?
Also, the thermals are kinda' baggie (droopy in the crotch), but my LDS said the next size down (which they don't have) would be too small. Opinion?

Rick Inman:
Just wondering, I wore polys under the thermals yesterday. Are you saying that I would be warmer without the polys?
Also, the thermals are kinda' baggie (droopy in the crotch), but my LDS said the next size down (which they don't have) would be too small. Opinion?

According to Whites...I've got the thinsulate ones (chicken..) so can't say from personal experience...but customers have told me there's a big difference afte..but a little polypro underneath is different than wearing something more substantial..I would try and see how it works for you..

There will be a bit of bag (allowing you to have full movement) but it shouldn't feel too weird..I would go onto the Whites website www.whitescoldwater.com - they have a size chart - match this up with your height and weight...some stores don't like to break up the package (as the nexus comes as a kit) so I would check it out..otherwise it'll irritate you forever!

Fleece is *NOT* designed to be worn against the skin. You *can* wear it against the skin in a drysuit underwater, but on the surface in warm conditions it will do a poor job of pulling moisture away from the skin. Ideally, fleece is worn as a second layer with a polypro or, better yet, polyester underwear beneath it.

Some undergarments are designed with this type of wicking layer on the inside (Weezle does this I believe), but the one that comes with the Nexus is not.

Rick Inman:
Bought the Whites Nexis yesterday and made 2 dives on it. Nice package for the price including rock boots, undies, socks, LP hose and bag. The only thing I didn't care for is the placement of the exhaust valve. To best vent, it assumes an arm position that matches venting your BC by lifting the hose over your head - forearm up. This is fine if that is how you vent your BC, but I vent mine (wings) with the rear valve most of the time. So I'd rather just lift my elbow up in a horizontal position and not have to raise my forearm up. No big thing, though, and I like that the valve is low profile. The inflate valve is LP restricted flow, so it inflates very slowly and is almost silent, which I guess will just take some getting used to.
I really like the cold-water neck dam and the wrist cuffs. With my dry gloves and hood on, NO latex is exposed. I also like the leg pocket system (comes standard with one pocket).
Heres a link to the best deal I could find on the Internet for the package, http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_DrySuits.asp although I paid 100.00 more from my LDS (after shipping, cost me about 60.00 more. Worth it to me to buy locally).
Overall, a nice deal for the complete package, IMHO.

I like whites suits as well. I have about 300 dives on my catalyst and have a nexus for backup and travel (it packs up real small) I never cared for the whites undies though> I now have a weazle extreme + and don't get cold on even the looooong dives in the great white north.
One down side to the nexus is I have puctured the foot a couple of times while suiting up and stepping on sharp objects such as pebbles. It's easy to patch though.
The leisurepro link you provided is for a bare nextgen not a whites BTW.

wedivebc:
I
The leisurepro link you provided is for a bare nextgen not a whites BTW.
The link is for Scuba Toys, and you just need to scroll down to see the Whites Nexis.

Rick Inman:
The link is for Scuba Toys, and you just need to scroll down to see the Whites Nexis.
Oooops, I see it now.

Wow, this Drysuit looks like it will be on my too get list next summer (when I get a summer job). DUI's are too expensive, they're good but way to much money for a darn drysuit. That's like me getting 3 Whites instead of 1 Dui, not worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom