Polartec divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice

Reaction score
Number one, has anyone out there done business with uswetsuits.com?

Number two, I'm wondering why more people don't dive polartec suits. Background: I got one on ebay cheap when I got started diving (in florida) I really like it because it's warm(at least as warm as a 3mil) It's neutrally bouyant, It breathes so it dosen't get freakishly hot before a dive and especially between dives.

any thoughts?
Rice

rjchandler:
don't they get heavy and soggy?

While my suit weighs more after a dive than before, it balls up well and water squeezes out nicely. It really helps in rinsing.

While diving it feels like a wetsuit but it's less constrictive, more like a skin. Water flows through slightly but not enough to get cold. I usually wear a hood if the water is below 78, but I problably would in a 3mil also.
Rice

You're kidding right?

I'm looking at a henderson trilam for warm-water--it has the fleece--is this the same thing? Because I was wondering if it will be too warm for tropics, it seems like it may be?

ha ha ha I think people are getting confused here. I too use Polartecs and agree with their versatility. They are a lot more pliable than normal neoprene (even the new stretchy materials), lighter and warmer. And they dry pretty quick.

My only problem is that neither O'Neil nor US Divers are making them anymore..... I have one of each and a Jerry Garcia from Henderson that I don't even like to use much least it get damaged :)

I am not familiar at all with the brand you mentioned before.... how do they compare to the others?

cheers,

Polartec is very similar to the Henderson Tri-lam (when it was still sold as a diving skin). It was dual layered with lycra to provide stretch and comfort.

I don't think they market it as a dive skin anymore. I've seen them referenced as a liner on ruberized surfer suits though (polartec is fused with a ruber coating on one site).

The big advantage was that it would dry rapidly between dives and help pull moisture away from your skin after the dive to keep you warmer between dives. We used to wear them under our 1/4" FJs on cold lake dives.

The problem they had was price. You could buy a mid-level 3mm for about the same.

My suit is a henderson, I don't think they make it anymore.
I'm considering buying one from www.uswetsuits.com to augment the one I have and get one that fits my frame better (I'm 6'3")

I really like not having a bouancy swing in my suit. Then again it's what I dive in usually so i have most of my dives in it. I'm suprised at how people act like it's a dumb idea. You problably would like it if you could be coerced into trying it.

It's not cold, I often get hot when I'm working hard down there chasing fish etc.
Rice

When I lived in the keys, I wore a Henderson Polartec for late spring and early fall. Actually, I got a new one every year because they pretty much fell apart with the hard use I gave them. I liked them because they are slightly warmer in the water than a skin, and did keep me warmer in the wind when on the boat.They were definitely not as warm as a 3mm, but the lack of inherent buoyancy was a plus. On the down side, they were quite pricey, and the outer lycra delaminated rather rapidly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom