question on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obsidian145

Reaction score
I am about to get in the water (on a training level) and i need to get a wetsuit. I have no experience or knowledge about them. If anyone knows a good information site to check out that would be great. Personal input is also a good thing.
thanx.
shiloh

Is the water cold???

as posted- It depends on what sort of diving you will be doing. They range from tropicla shorties for warm waters and thin all-in ones, to 'farmer johns' which are basically a sleeveless all in one and a long sleeved shorty that goes over the top. Prices very drastically too- depends on how much diving you will be doing too.

Without knowing the type of diving you will be doing, I can't say what you should get. I will say this, my wife and I have Henderson Hyperstretch suits (7mm) and they are great. They are warm, fit well and are easy to get into.

Low 40's? Brrrr. I'm usually in 55 degree water up here in Northern California, give or take a few degrees (I dive a wetsuit) but I think if you're going to be diving in the 40's you'll want to dive with a dry suit. If you're learning to dive, this adds an extra layer of complexity, but it may well be worth it for you. Do a search under dry suits on the board for more ideas.

I dive in that range of temps, I have a drysuit now,but there was a time when I didn't. Start with good quality boots and hood. Then I bought a 3mil shorty to wear under my wetsuit(when its really cold) I found a brand new akona 7mil one piece wetsuit on e-bay for $88.00 plus shipping. It was a discontinued style, but I think the price was right. Start with this, but after "making due" you will probably want a drysuit. It makes a huge difference!!

Back
Top Bottom