DUI dry suit repair/customer service opinions needed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to get some opinions on an issue I have had with both of the dry suits my wife and I purchased at the start of the season. Here's the deal. The exhaust valves leak, leeving our left arms wet at the end of every dive. After some research here and talking to DUI, I have found out that this is a common and known problem with my $1500 dry suit, (x2) counting my wife's. So, after spending over $3000 on DUI suits, I am told by DUI that I have to send them in for free warranty service. Great. Easy! One problem though. Shipping the suits cost $55 with insurance! Correct me if I am wrong but if I spend over $3000 on 2 DUI suits and the things don't work as promised, I feel I shouldn't have to pay for a dime and that includes shipping it back to them for free warranty service.

Part of the problem was insurance as that cost about $30 to insure for $3000. No way I am gonna send dry suits without insurance. I have had problems before with lost packages. So, should I call them and ask if I can get that $55 back? I know it's not much money but if the product is broken, I shouldn't have to pay to fix it. What do you think? Thanks all. The suits have been great except for the whole "wet" part.

Does you suit have the low profile valves?

Why don't you call them and ask if they will send you the replacement valves instead of sending the whole suit in? (the valves are installed hand tight, it is a good habit to get into disassembling it to clean and lube anyway)

I don't know if it helps, mine leaked at full open. If you turn it until it clicks, it leaks, if you turn it until it clicks and back it off just a bit, it will not leak.Maybe someone else has experienced this???(d.u.i. 450cl)

rmediver2002:
Does you suit have the low profile valves?

Why don't you call them and ask if they will send you the replacement valves instead of sending the whole suit in? (the valves are installed hand tight, it is a good habit to get into disassembling it to clean and lube anyway)

I have had two CF200 suits and on both of them the exhaust valves are not what I would call "installed hand tight". As a matter of fact now on three valves - two exhaust and one inflator I've found that they all have had silicone to glue them together, despite what the DUI rep told me. This does not facilitate cleaning these valves. I've had to take them to my LDS to get this issue taken care of.

Scubadoo - I don't blame you for being irritated. I've felt the same way towards DUI.

I dont think you are wrong in your feeling but shipping for warranty work is excluded from the warranty.

My wife had to send her 50/50 back due to a leaking wrist zip seal and we paid the shipping but we knew that was excluded prior to purchase. They performed the repair and got the suit back to her in 10 days.

Reading your post though, I do wish I at least asked if they would cover the shipping regardless of the warranty exclusion. It's never a bad thing to ask. You might want to also ask if you have to pay the shipping again if the repair does not solve the problem.

I have been less than impressed when using DUI for repairs. I am local to their facility and used them for seal replacement on a competitor's suit. All they did was talk crap about the competitor and their products and ended up doing a poor job on the repair.

Overpriced, overhyped and snobby.

Thanks all! To answer some questions, I have the low profile valves and they did ask me if I wanted the valves sent to me but I didn't know that it would be easy to replace myself. DUI said that the "new" low profile valves have a special backing that prevents the leaking. She said to send it to repairs so I assumed it would need special care that I didn't have the skill to handle. Plus, Dick Long's book says that a professional should always handle valve repairs and I was afraid of voiding the warranty. If DUI would have said it was easy to do, I would have tried. Not that they were bad on the phone. They are always nice.

As for dialing back the valve a few clicks to prevent leaking, we have tried that. It did help a little bit but doesn't solve the problem. I do like the idea of a low profile valve, but if the problem can't be solved, then why sell them in the first place. If Sony sent out radios that they knew didn't work and then forced people to send them in to be fixed by the hundreds, it seems that a law suit would surely follow. Atleast if it was a Sony radio I was having problems with I could just take it back to Wal Mart or Best Buy and they would replace it for free.

How can ANY company sell flawed product when they admit that the problem is known? This problem was know by DUI even before these suits were sold to me. I even called and asked DUI if the problem had been fixed before buying these suits. I'm not even going to get into all the dives that my wife and I paid for that should have beed DRY dives. What about all those dives that we would have done but didn't feel like dealing with the wet clothes after because it was cold. Okay, I'll stop. Thank you all again for your ears and opinions. I don't hate DUI and am sure that they will handle the repair quickly and professionally even if I have to pay for shipping. Safe diving all!

I used to love DUI, and like I said they are always great on the phone, but this issue will cause me to consider other companies next time I purchase dry suits. This isn't just a minor problem, this is a major flaw in a design concept that people pay big money for.

scubadobadoo:
I used to love DUI, and like I said they are always great on the phone, but this issue will cause me to consider other companies next time I purchase dry suits. This isn't just a minor problem, this is a major flaw in a design concept that people pay big money for.

I hear you there. If my CF200 didn't fit so nicely I would dump it and look for another brand. BTW - the rep told me that the suit is neutral. Not sure what he was smoking that day, but in a test in fresh water the suit was 4# positive.

I just spoke with DUI and was told that "this latest version of the low profile valve really does seem to work." That is a direct quote. I will be getting this version and hope that it works. Also, DUI says the repair requires professional skill and leak testing so I couldn't have fixed it myself. As for the known problem issue I was told that, "The problem wasn't known at the time because we thought that the latest version would work." Again, a direct quote. Keep in mind that I called and asked if the problem had been fixed before buying these suits and was told that it was fixed. I hope it finally has been or I will have to pay for shipping again. The rep was always nice and friendly as usual but at no time was I given an apology for the design flaw and having to pay for the shipping and for diving wet in $3000 worth of DRY suits. My guess is that they are tired of dealing with this problem. So am I.

Once again, let me add that in no way do I want to bash DUI. I simply write these things because when I do a search for topics or products on this board I want to read both the good and the bad. That's what makes this board such a great tool. Everytime we write something about anything, it ibecomes public record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom