Viking X-Treme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I'm still looking to buy a drysuit and I came across a new Viking X-Treme with attached hood, carrying bag, suspenders... the whole works for $750. Is this a good buy for this suit and how does it stack up to some of the other suits... I know Dui is supposed to be the best, but right now the funds are limited.

Thanks
Ty

I have an X-treme. My previous suit was an oceanic flex. I prefer the viking. Fewer seams, better fit, valves as good as the oceanic. More bells and whistles, what with the bag, suspenders, repair kit included. I was in the lake with it Sunday. Temp: low 30's. 40 minutes and I was dry and comfortable.

Hope this is some help. Ber Rabbit also has one. Maybe she'll give you her opinion, too.

Bob3 will prolly chime in with his 2 cents (cuz he is a dealer)
but here is my ONLY *complaint* about the suit:

It is VERY difficult to get anything to stick to it even if that is
your desire. Fortunately there are some very aggressive adhesives that will assist in your modification efforts ;-)

I have been using an Extreme for awhile and have had good luck with it. Don't care for the attached hood but you may like it. Have used mine under the ice and had frequent encounters with sea urchins and it has held up well. Always kept me dry.

That's a good price for the suit, go for it and get trained to use it. Once you get used to pulling that seal on over your head you'll like the suit more; donning is a claustrophobics nightmare. I like the attached hood and I've found that wearing the bonnet under it can even keep my hair (and my head) dry which was a plus in February in Ohio. The only thing I don't like is the boots, they won't fit in my jet fins :( I had to get an XL pair of fins to fit the boots but I'm a "medium" fin diver because I'm small. Oh, and don't adjust those suspenders too tight! You don't want the crotch of that suit snug against yours, I was hurting and I'm a GIRL!
Ber :bunny:

I, on the other hand, cut off that d****d hood. Every time I donned the suit, I felt like I was re-enacting my birth! Good suit, tho'. I think you'll like it.

Thanks everyone

I bought the suit from Bob3, and it arrived last Friday. I haven't cut the seals yet, but that and taking a drysuit class are on the schedule for this weekend. Next weekend is Dutch Springs and it will be so nice to be diving dry!!!!

Thanks for everyones input.

Ty

If I were going to buy an inexpensive suit, the Extreme would be it. Viking is a very good drysuit manufacturer. I don't believe it comes in custom fit, so make sure you consider that too.

Good luck,

Mike

Don't be too quick to whack that hood, be sure you do the face opening trim thing first, along with the neck seal.

When you get ready to slide it over your head, stick your hands in through the face opening down through the neck seal and give it a half-dozen HARD quick stretches. The latex will get "warmed", resulting in a quicker, easier don.
Pull the whole thing down around the neck & slide the hands around the neck seal (should be pointing down to start with).
Once you get the technique down, your suit will hop right on to you.
The PSDs that I sell to can be geared & in the water in under 3 minutes from the time they hop out of their vehicle.

Is it possible to make the neck seal tighter? I never trimmed ANY off of it and it is loose enough to let water in. Turning the edge under a TINY bit helps but if I don't get it exactly right it leaks. The fiance was a little too eager to suggest a rubber noose! The suit is the smallest one they make and my pencil neck is still too small!
Thanks!
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom