DUI SI-5 dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
What is the difference between the orange "maximum dexterity" version and the blue "heavy duty"? I have been diving wet with the 7 mm gloves, and I can perform all of the actions I need too with those gloves. I am leaning toward the heavy duty gloves unless I can come up with a good reason to go with the maximum dexterity ones.

Also, what have people done regarding the gawd-awful colors that these come in? I imagine any attempt to change the color would void the warranty as well as possibly affect the integrity of the material. Wondering if I can wear a black glove over the top of it?

The orange gloves are a little bit thinner and less stiff than the blue gloves.

The gloves themselves are cheap. They're simply Atlas brand gloves, and you can get them at http://www.seamar.com/atlasgloves/insulated.htm with built in or removeable linings.

I put holes in enough of the blue gloves not to even consider the orange ones, though I do own a pair or two. I have enough dexterity with the blue gloves.

As for the colors, I love them. The bright colors make hand signals so much easier to see.

You can also get black chemical resistant gloves for a buck or two at the local Army Surplus store which work equally well, as long as you have an insulating liner to put under them.

O Jonnythan, how do you make the gloves from seamar "dry"?
(I tolerate the cold pretty well in a wetsuit, except for my hands and feet. Wonder why we don't have dry boots and gloves for wetsuits? Hmmm? LOL)

I said the gloves themselves are cheap, not the ring system.

DUI wants you to think their gloves cost $88. $88! You can buy the exact same glove at a retail price of about $15.

Oh, and you know the saying.. cold hands? Put on a hat.

If your hands and feet are getting very cold you don't have enough core and head insulation :wink:

jonnythan:
I said the gloves themselves are cheap, not the ring system.

DUI wants you to think their gloves cost $88. $88! You can buy the exact same glove at a retail price of about $15.
Ok, so do you somehow 'stick' this ring system on the seamar gloves? Jonnythan, I'm blonde you gotta spell it out for me. :11ztongue But good news, you can use BIG words. :crafty:

As for the cold extremities, it's a circulatory problem, my core is warm. I can even be 'all sweaty' and my hands and feet still feel like ice. :11: I even have trouble holding a cold can of pop (soda), beer however, seems to be less of a problem. :eyebrow:

Well I'm not familiar with the DUI SI-5 gloves in particular, but I think they're a permanent glue-on dryglove solution.

In general, you install a hard plastic ring into the wrist seal of the drysuit. There are some that glue on, some that are held onto the normal wrist seal with O-rings, etc. Then you install a matching ring on a waterproof glove. The rings snap or screw together in a watertight fashion. Bam, dry hands. The gloves can be replaced simply by popping the rings off one set of gloves and putting them on a new set. Depending on the system, this usually takes about 5 or 10 minutes and can be done during a surface interval no problem.

I have the Diving Cocnepts system. You can see some pictures of it at http://www.divingconcepts.com/dryglove.htm under "Dry Glove With Wrist Ring System."

You can also buy drygloves that have a wrist seal just like the drysuit, and the two wrist seals sit one on top of the other to keep your hands dry. Nordic Blue sells these.

While you could wear them with a wetsuit, they'd get uncomfortable past 20 or 30 feet since you can't add air to equalize them. Have you tried the 3-finger mitts?

Oh, and BTW, I'll hold your beer while you're not drinking it. I can't promise you'll get any back though :eyebrow:

The DUI SI-5 system works the same way as jonnythan described. You have an outer ring installed on the drysuit. You place the cuff of the glove over the inner ring. Now you slide the inner ring into the outer ring. The glove material is sandwiched between the two rings and this creates the seal. DUI has a step-by-step photo gallery showing this on their website.

Ever try putting 3" Diameter PBS pipe segment in the sleeve and then pulling a glove over the pipe segment and tightening it on with a large hose clamp. I tried this once and it worked. I just dont like having to use a screwdriver socket to take the gloves off. Any other inventers out there know a good way to tighten gloves on using this system. I tried duct tape and it leaked a bit.
All I need is some type of pressure clamp system

Thanks everyone for the description of how these work. I have not been able to see them in person...yet. I intend to own some eventually. :) I'm REALLY liking ScubaSarus's homemade version. :crafty:
jonnythan:
While you could wear them with a wetsuit, they'd get uncomfortable past 20 or 30 feet since you can't add air to equalize them. Have you tried the 3-finger mitts?
Yep, and they don't help.
jonnythan:
Oh, and BTW, I'll hold your beer while you're not drinking it. I can't promise you'll get any back though :eyebrow:
Oh there might be problems there.......ever see a woman take a can koozie with her to the bar? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom