I have a question for the dry crowd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogerL.

Registered
Reaction score
I recently obtained a dry suit and have a question on how the boots should fit. These boots fit me good, not to tight but snug with a pair of work type socks on, is this right? I probably could go a tad thicker but was wondering what type of fit I should be looking for. Thanks in advance, Roger

Comfortable without being too tight. Tight boots will restrict circulation which at best will earn you cold feet and could even have more serious implications.

RogerL.:
I recently obtained a dry suit and have a question on how the boots should fit. These boots fit me good, not to tight but snug with a pair of work type socks on, is this right? I probably could go a tad thicker but was wondering what type of fit I should be looking for. Thanks in advance, Roger

Depending on temperature, work-type sox may soon get replaced with thicker, fuzzy sox. You'd be surprised how you can make up for boots that are a little (little) big when you clamp down your fins.

Too small and its no bueno. Sounds like you have a pretty good fit in the feet. How's the rest of the suit fit?

---
Ken

Mine are very large on me but then a pair of thick socks or two and then the fins and all of a sudden my size 9 foot is a comfy size 11. Like the above posts mentioned, too tight can be bad but it sounds like you are okay. They shouldn't feel any tighter than your feet feel in your regular shoes after putting socks on. Good luck with your suit and welcome to the dry world!

but I don't feel that they're being restricted either. I believe I could probably use heavy wool socks and not be to tight. I'm going to have to get some instruction so I'll ask what their opinion is. I realize that the boots don't come in half sizes, I usually wear a 9 1/2 in most shoes. I believe these boots are probably 9-10 I just don't want to have to have them replaced if I don't have to. I'm really excited, I got a real good deal from a member here(Mayday95), $400 for a practically new Oceanic tri-lam. So I'm finally going to do some sites I've always wanted to do, but was too much of a WWW. Roger

Did you get an Oceanic Flex. I got one for $550 brand new. If it is purple in color it may be the unixsex model in which the boots are smaller. My boots are fairly tight but I don't mind as much because the feet don't tend to hurt like the hands do in cold water. Just dove 35 degree water last week. Hnads were really the only problem

Don't sweat the boots as you seem to have a good fit. I know many divers who use a lot of insulation on their feet ranging from wool or neoprene socks to down (very warm until they get wet) or thinsulate booties. Personally though I have never seen the need for anything other than a normal pair of socks to keep my feet warm. As long as your insulation is adequate everywhere else, your body will keep plenty of blood flowing to your feet and they will stay warm. Cold feet normally mean a cold core temp and indicate a need to increase insulation of the core.

And as indicated above, in practice your hands will get colder long before your feet will whether you are using wet or dry gloves. Your feet have a small surface area for their volume compared to your hands and they are inside the boots and fins in addition to the socks so there is actually already a fair amount of insulation.

The water temp locally is 32 to 35 degrees F and a half hour is usually about the point where my hands get cold but my feet are still toasty even post dive after all the gear is packed and I am ready to remove the suit.

I will dive with a few pairs of wool socks. If I do ice diving or cold water diving I will use a pair of battery operated socks with a pair of wool socks on top. The batteries (D size) will last about four-five hours. Depending on the drysuit it could be tight around the batterry compartment. It sounds like you have a pretty good fit.

DA Aquamaster:
Don't sweat the boots as you seem to have a good fit. I know many divers who use a lot of insulation on their feet ranging from wool or neoprene socks to down (very warm until they get wet) or thinsulate booties. Personally though I have never seen the need for anything other than a normal pair of socks to keep my feet warm. As long as your insulation is adequate everywhere else, your body will keep plenty of blood flowing to your feet and they will stay warm. Cold feet normally mean a cold core temp and indicate a need to increase insulation of the core.

Of course, UP will contest that when he went to Dry Gloves, his feet got warmer.

So last weekend, I tried it. :11:

I've lost a lot of weight lately, so my wrist seals leak a bit (as does the neck seal on my now-pencil neck!) so after the first dive, I came up, wringing out my undies at the wrists - as usual. And it hit me.... DUH - I have zip gloves.

So I zipped them in for dives 2 and 3 - just to keep dry.

My feet were noticably warmer.... :shocked:

So as much as I :1poke: Pug about it on SB (his dry glove = warm feet postulate), I found it to be true. Dry gloves = warmer feet.

Damn, it was hard to admit that.... :10:

---
Ken

Makes sense. Anything that prevents heat loss somewhere else will help keep your feet warmer. I last longer on ice dives with a full face mask and my wife wears an XL drysuit hood over her L dry suit hood to add more insulation on her head where 20-30% of the heat loss occurs.

Back
Top Bottom