Adding a zip to my vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 3mm neoprene vest that I wear under my 3/2mm wetsuit. It's seriously difficult to get into and impossible to get out of -- someone has to peel it off me. I've made a lot of friends by inviting people to undress me, but really, enough is enough.

I've found some people who can install a zip for me. The question is, should the zip go up the front, or should it be under one arm? My wetsuit has a zip at the back, so either would be okay in terms of not having both zips in the same place.

Does anyone have any experience of either arrangement?

Thanks, Zept

Hi Zept,
While this doesn't address your specific question, it might be worth considering: wearing the vest outside the wetsuit. If you did that, I'd suggest getting the zipper in front.
I use that setup: 3mm rear zipped suit with 3mm front zipped vest worn outside the suit -and have found this configuration to be comfortable, easy on/off, easy to unzip the vest if there is a delay pre water entry (boat dives). It also helps reduce water intrusion through the suit 's zipper. (For trips with 4 dives a day -water temp in the mid to upper 70s-yeah, I'm a CAD, butI have noticed a significant increase in comfort on the 3rd and 4th dives) .
Hpoe this is helpful,
Good luck,
Miked

Thanks Mike. Hadn't thought about that, because the vest is a better (tighter) fit than the suit, and right now there's no way I'd get it on over the top. With a zip in the vest, it might be doable. When I get it back, I'll experiment.

I'm leaning towards a zip up the front of the vest...

Zept

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom