Question about OT post removals in the Bay Islands Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Off topic posts are prohibited in the Bay Islands Forum? That should cut the post count about in half.

Off topic posts are prohibited in the Bay Islands Forum? That should cut the post count about in half.
Yes, when the off topic posts are attacks on individuals and comments about those very posts. If half of the Bay Islands threads consist of personal attacks, then shortening them to half their length is a good thing.

.... People should be able to share their experiences and ideas without fear of remarks of a personal nature.

Nice.

drat! - beluga made me look up ad hominem.

Don't add too much of that hominem stuff.

I saw the scuffle going on and was moved to write what I thought was an amusing non-reply. That was my OT contribution to squelch the attacks and name calling.

I have done this before, and it's sort of like tossing water on fighting dogs or just making a non-sequitur joke... Everybody usually laughs it off and everybody settles down. Ms.Quero decided a more heavy handed Mod and direct approach was in order.

The Bay Islands Forum is like no other. It has hosted an ongoing parade of short term posters, people who come and go, seemingly working their way through their DM Internships doing Social Media tasks.

In the same forum (another thread), I just observed the lifting of spamming rules- a trip was posted "for sale" to Roatan as a response to a thread, something that has previously been relegated to the special forum for such commercial offerings. Maybe because so much money and comps were in it for SB and the people involved in "the Invasin", those stifling rules were lifted and are now ignored. Feel free to post commercial trip offerings in open Travel forums, so say the Mods, apparently.

Anyway, Roatan seems to bring out a lot of conflicting opinions, most all of them are based on minimal knowledge of the breadth of diving available across the lengthy shoreline of this far flung island. Some are so far off, they're kind of cute, but some are merely whorring for the dive op the poster is currently working at. They come, they go.

Several of us watched all of the fawning posts over the now-closed Fantasy Island and said nothing contradictory. The place was collapsing under its own weight for the last three years and finally went bust. None of us ever said anything very negative, but at the same time had to watch the brain washed supporters and hired spammers tell everyone how great it was. The truth is a personal, elusive creature.

It's easy to see why some long term SB members get really annoyed and goaded into outbursts.

If you really want to see a very narrow perspective, the Forums on Trip Advisor are dominated by the pod people, some of them "divers" who want to go to the bestest dive sites, others want to soak up "the real island vibe". Narrow perspectives give narrow answers.

This thread got Mod-created/moved because of a cat fight that occurred on the Forum. These kinds of things are really nothing new. The OT stuff, like the critical commentary post that I wrote... It might have been one of the funnier (admittedly OT) posts I have written lately. I try. I get my critique from the "likes".

Creating a thread about OT posting is disingenuous and misleading- the OT was not he problem... As I said, it has often been the solution. The more time you spend in any given forum, the more you might see that, versus policing from 8,000 miles away. Don't get me wrong- those attack posts should have been removed, but buy a clue about the way OT flourishes in he Bay Islands Forum... It's in the DNA.

Lost to the dust bin of OT digits and electrons is where I finally got around to asking FlotsAm if he had a brother named "Jets" (not the little guy at the Belize Airport)

The rules on our SB Forums are quite flexible depending on who is breaking the rules, but I see that advertising commercial trips in open travel forums is apparently a "go". Just be very pleasant when you're pointing out what you think is the truth, something that I have long ago given up bothering to do since there is a constant parade of short term, newly minted experts on the subject of his odd little island. I just write about what I like and why, I write for divers.

I got no island vibe, mon.... But I sign my name at the bottom of anything I post. Anyone?

Last edited:
Doc you seem to have missed the announcement about the merging of the Marketplace forums into the general discussion forums for each region. The announcement ran from July 28-Aug 30. FYI, here it is for your reference:
Over the next several weeks, ScubaBoard will be phasing out the "Trips and Local Marketplace" sub-forums for our regional forums and some other select forums based on usage and traffic. This move is an effort to simplify the site navigation by removal of more than 10% of the forums listed on the site. Additionally, this will make it easier to find local meetups and stay on top of what's happening in your area by keeping all of the postings for any region in one easy to view area.

In short, this allows for all post types (whether they are non-commercial or commercial in nature) in our main regional (and select) forums.

What does this mean as far as local trips, events, and meetups? It means that if there's no T&M forum for the area you're posting in, that any post can be made in the main forum for that area (for example Florida has already been merged for some time now). Remember, you should post your gear and equipment for sale in our Classified area.

Please keep in mind that we do have some TOS items with regard to posting only ONE thread per topic, and we of course ask that users limit themselves to no more than one or two commercially natured posts a week in our regional forums.

We hope that everyone finds this to be an enhancement to our site.

If you check the subforums of the Bay Islands regional forum, you will find that the Marketplace no longer exists, so any promotion of an event, trip, or class now goes into the main discussion forum.

As for the ad hominem post, yes, it was. Implying that the views of a member should be taken with a grain of salt because that member is only a recently-arrived DMT who doesn't have the many years of diving behind him that you have rather than addressing the actual content of that member's post is a textbook example of an ad hominem argument and as such is subject to removal, regardless of who is making the argument.

Don't infer that it was I who wrote that.

And to the secondary point....

Please keep in mind that we do have some TOS items with regard to posting only ONE thread per topic,

Oppsie, that must have been it. One thread, two post, two threads. It works out algebraicly.

You didn't start it, Doc, but you jumped on the bandwagon. The whole thing got binned, including your own light-hearted dog-piling.

Okay, I'll accept that. All participants were issued a firm, even handed whack by me. Some of it may have been lost in translation.

You forgot to complete that math problem that I posed.

Back
Top Bottom