Mares Quattro Excel Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Stu

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new pair of fins, and I wondered if anybody has tried or heard anything about these new fins from Mares? I know they are based on the Quattros which are very popular, but is there anything great about this new design, or is it just a marketing gimmick?

It the past I have used Oceanic V12 split fins (virtually indistructable), Mares Volo Power (not recomended if you do a lot of shore diving), and Mares Volo Race (great for pool or tropics).

Scuba Stu:
I am looking at getting a new pair of fins, and I wondered if anybody has tried or heard anything about these new fins from Mares? I know they are based on the Quattros which are very popular, but is there anything great about this new design, or is it just a marketing gimmick?

It the past I have used Oceanic V12 split fins (virtually indistructable), Mares Volo Power (not recomended if you do a lot of shore diving), and Mares Volo Race (great for pool or tropics).
Sounds like another marketing gimmick to me although Quattros in general are nice fins. I had a pair and liked em' but ditched them for Turtles for the larger footpocket when I went to the drysuit/rockboots a few years ago.

My Mate has a pair, its just a gimic. they have a light aluminum strip down the middle and since there is a litmited ammount made they have limtied edition serial number on them.

They are a very Stiff, rigid fin, he dosent like them and was looking to sell them after his second dive

Stuart

Stuabdn:
My Mate has a pair, its just a gimic. they have a light aluminum strip down the middle and since there is a litmited ammount made they have limtied edition serial number on them.

They are a very Stiff, rigid fin, he dosent like them and was looking to sell them after his second dive

Stuart

Thanks Stuabdn. Thats pretty much what I had thought. I know that the Quattro is an excellent fin, and this new limited edition version is just trying to cash in on the original fins popularity.

Scuba Stu:

Scuba.com has the Mares Quattro Limited Edition on sale for $59.95.

Mares Volo Power (not recomended if you do a lot of shore diving)

Why? I use mine exclusively for shore diving, and I like them a lot.

xSandman3:
Why? I use mine exclusively for shore diving, and I like them a lot.

I have snapped two blades just above the hinges on my volo powers, both times by getting the fin tip jammed under my foot as I put them on, and then putting my weight down on top of the now bent fin. I've gone through two pairs in less then 10 dives. Where I dive the bottom is mainly rocks, and it seems that the tips easily get caught between the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom