Jet Fins, Mares Quatros, or other Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFL_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Dive Rite fins with the metal spring that holds them on. The metal spring pulling on the back of my angle annoys me so much! I know that most people prefer the springs but I can't stand them. So now I'm going to get different fins....

I like to do the regular scuba kick- I guess that would be the flutter kick. I'm not into any other fancy weird kicks.

I hear the most recommendations about the ScubaPro Jet Fins, and also the Mares Quatros. What is the foot connection on the Jet Fins and the Mares Quatros? A metal or plastic buckle?

But then I hear that with the split fins, you can use less energy, and do the flutter kick better. I was looking at the Tusa X-Pert Zoom Split Fins at the ScubaToys.com website. And I looked at the ScubaPro "Twin Speed" Open Heel Split Fins.

I mainly do open water reef diving to 30 - 40 feet.

Please give me your personal opinions on what I should get.

SFL_diver:
I recently bought a pair of Dive Rite fins with the metal spring that holds them on. The metal spring pulling on the back of my angle annoys me so much! I know that most people prefer the springs but I can't stand them. So now I'm going to get different fins....

I like to do the regular scuba kick- I guess that would be the flutter kick. I'm not into any other fancy weird kicks.

I hear the most recommendations about the ScubaPro Jet Fins, and also the Mares Quatros. What is the foot connection on the Jet Fins and the Mares Quatros? A metal or plastic buckle?

But then I hear that with the split fins, you can use less energy, and do the flutter kick better. I was looking at the Tusa X-Pert Zoom Split Fins at the ScubaToys.com website. And I looked at the ScubaPro "Twin Speed" Open Heel Split Fins.

I personally prefer the paddle fins over the split fins. I never tried on the Mares Quatros but also heard alot of positives about it. As for SP Jet Fins, I just love it!!!!

SFL_diver:

1. Perhaps your problem with springs is a matter of size.
Springs are made in different sizes. Maybe the springs are too small for you.

2. I own a pair of one of the fin styles you mention.
I have used two more of the above fin styles.
I like my fins, but I think you should base your choice on your own comfort.

My opinion is you should get what you are most comfortable with.

I offered to get new fins for a crew of my boat.
He preferred to use his own handmade fins consisting of a piece of innertube
connected to a piece of plywood.
He was most comfortable with those fins, and they were very effective fins.
He is a very good diver, free diver and spearfisher.

scubatoys:
Try the splits, and you'll never go back.
Jet fins for 15 years. Still trying to convert over to split... I have had split for the last five and I still find myself grabbing the old jet fin.

SFL_diver:

Your springs are probably too tight. You could replace them or just stretch them out.

As for the different fins, I've used splits (Tusa x-pert zooms) and jetfins. The splits were best for flutter kicking, but not very good for some other kicks such as frog kick and back kick. I like the XL jets because in addition to being solid fins they are also heavy enough to make controlling your trim a lot easier - if you pull your feet towards your butt your weight shifts towards your head and you go head down and vice versa if you push your feet out. I don't like the foot pockets on them though.

I have 5 pairs of fins right now.....so I can give you my take on what I have tried. Right now, I am using Jet fins, but I am also learning the frog kick, modified flutter kick, helicopter turn, and reverse kick. You can't do these kicks as well with a split fin as with a Jet fin. I can't really do them very well with my Jet fins right now either, but I can do them better with the Jets. The Jets are very very stiff. When doing a normal flutter kick in the Jets, I can really feel my legs having to work harder to cover the same amount of water than when I'm in my splits.

Now as far as splits...........I have SP Twin Jets and Apollo Bio Fin Pros. I like the Bio Fins much better. They are a little narrower than the TwinJets and they are more comfortable. You almost can't feel them on your feet at all. The stress on my legs when doing the flutter kick is almost unnoticeable. They are just extremely comfortable and fast, and use a minimal amount of energy to do the flutter kick. They are very manueverable, just not as manueverable as the if doing frog kicks or helicopter turns.

If you are just doing reef diving using the flutter kick.........I would recommend a split fin. They are comfortable, they are efficient, but they are also expensive. People who have been using stiff paddle fins for years have their legs built up to deal with the stress and extra workload. They like the "feedback" the stiff fins give them, while the flexible split fins make you wonder if you actually have fins on at all. Like others have said, it's really up to your personal preference. But if you want comfort and efficiency using the flutter kick, it's hard for me to recommend anything other than the Bio Fins. And you can get them with spring straps or standard rubber straps.

Go to your LDS and borrow or rent both paddle and splits then try them in the water. Only you can decide what type of fin you're most comfortable with, and once you figure that out, buy whatever you like.

Personally, I hate the floppy, uncontrolled feeling that splits give me and I avoid them like the plague. However, I know a LOT of folks who love splits and wouldn't give them up for anything. I recently tried a pair of Jetfins and after swimming in a pool with them for 25 minutes fell in love with them and bought them. However, I know quite a few folks who say they can't swim 25 yards without getting a cramp in Jets.

Fins are like masks, they need to be fit to the person and not purchased based on the recommendations of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom