Advice on starter gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotorboy

Reaction score
I start my OW Certification in a few weeks and I'm currently shopping around for my gear. I seem to be drawn to the X-Pert Zoom Dive Package from ScubaToys. I've noticed (like any other hooby) gear is cheaper online than in the stores. The Xpert package consist of Tusa Xpert zoom fins, Genesis panoramic mask w/ softstrap, splash snorkel, a pair of booties, and a mesh bag for $199. This is within the budget I had allocated for these. Can anyone give me some feedback on these or if they know of a similar package within the same price rage. I am new to all this so I'm a little lost when it comes to gear (Pro's and con's of different brands). Also, I'm going to need a weight belt. They suggested soft weights instead of lead.....Are these better? Seems to be a comfort issue. One last question.....wet suits...I live in Florida and plan on doing (in the begining at least) most of my dives in these waters. What type of wet suit would you recommend for these waters? I'm considerin investing in one from the get go. Thanks in advance!! Eddie

I think you summed it up when you wrote that the price of the package is within your current budget. Add the fact that you are buying from a good (and helpful) source, and I think you are set.

Enjoy, and safe diving.

rotorboy:
Also, I'm going to need a weight belt. They suggested soft weights instead of lead.....Are these better? Seems to be a comfort issue.

soft weights are easier to add and take off the weight belt than the old-style
lead clunks that you have to thread through the belt. also, the soft weights
are not as hard on your back or your equipment.

rotorboy:
One last question.....wet suits...I live in Florida and plan on doing (in the begining at least) most of my dives in these waters. What type of wet suit would you recommend for these waters?

i've only ever used a 3 mil wet suit in Florida, and it's served me well. i have a
farmer john (two pieces), which i can wear as a shorty, as just the long pants and
"bib", or together for max insulation. 3 mil is all you'll ever need in Florida. if for
some reason you find you are cold, buying a 3 mil vest with hood should fix that.

Depends on what you cold tolerance is. Out of Panama City, winter water temps go into the 50's, some years the low 50's.

I'm not diving that with a 3 mil.

As to your basics, most shops have package prices for the mask/snorkel/fins/boots, if for no other reason that students muct have the stuff. Masks in particular have to fit right, buying a model you don't know fits you over the net may leave you with a worthless mask.

Try asking your local shops what packages they have available. You might find some that suit you.

Wayward Son:
Depends on what you cold tolerance is. Out of Panama City, winter water temps go into the 50's, some years the low 50's.

no, nor would i dive Jax in the winter (55-60 F) in a 3 mil. but the dive boats
don't go out in the winter here, so that's a moot point for me

but you're right... if you're going to dive North Florida or the Panhandle in the
winter, you'll need more than a 3 mil. other than that, you'll be set with a 3 mil

I wouldn't buy the mask online unless you are sure it will fit, and I'd prefer to try out the booties as well. I would also consider buying used fins off ebay since they don't need to be new to work fine, and if you don't like them, then you can sell them again without taking a big loss.

I personally don't own a weight belt because I can always get those from the dive resorts (probably without an extra charge), and don't want to lug the weights around when I travel. Also, most people don't use the snorkel when scuba dive after the first few dives, but you probably need it in case of long surface swims or if you just like to snorkel on vacations or for exercise.

Renting some gear might also be a good idea because that way you will be able to try out different brands, models and sizes. For example, if a rental wetsuit happens to fit you really well, then you could take note of the model and try to find it online rather than buying something blindly and hope it fits.

Your personal gear needs to fit you. I suggest getting it locally so you can be sure of the fit and as a new diver get some good advice from someone standing there with you. Be aware of online pricing and use it as a bargaining chip. They may not be able to meet it but you should be able to arrive at a good value. Other wise you take the risk of shipping delays as gear is exchanged or wondering what the next bootie size would be like. What works for one of us may not work for you. That's why it's called personal gear.

Weights? Diving 3mm in Fl you won't need much so it's up to you. Soft is more confortable, subject to damage, leached lead, can stain gear with lead that is leaching if you aren't vigilant about complete breakdowns and rinsing. The amount of weight you will likely need could very well be carried in a weight integrated BCD with no belt to deal with, the trade-off is a heavier BCD to don & doff. Hard weights will be the lesser investment, most durable and easiest to care for. I use hard, my wife loves her soft belt.

3mm suit? I'll let the locals advise you there.

Pete

I've got to agree with spectrum. Get your gear locally. Proper mask fit is essential unless you won't mind fidgeting with it every few seconds. Clearing, adjusting, etc. Boots will fit based on size and manufacturer just like regular shoes. My tennis shoes are size 8 1/2 EE from new balance, my florsheim dress shoes 9 D, my rocky boots 9 1/2 E, my scubamax boots size 8, but if Igo to the oceanic neoclassic it's a 9. You can't find this out on-line. If you need a weight belt go with the pocket but make sure it fits you and can carry enough weight for your size and type of diving. No weaving and you can use hard or soft. I use hard simply because they're easier to get in and out of my BC. I normally only use the weight belt in open water with my dry suit when I want to divide things up a little or need to carry that extra 4 or 6 pounds. Fins you can get off ebay yes but you may have to replace the straps no biggie but an annoyance at first. I bought my second pair of blades off ebay because of the price and that they don't make them anymore. Finally, yes, you need a snorkel and this is entirely a matter of personal preference. I have a dry snorkel that I use for pool and open water with students but am getting a pocket snorkel because it's more convenient for the diving I normally do. Also I don't know how your lds works it but we give a discount on lessons when you buy your personal gear from us and you don't have to pay shipping. Open water is normally 399 which includes all classroom instruction(which at present we will do in your home on your schedule as we are in process of getting a new location open), ow crewpak, all pool sessions (normally 3), and all 4 ow checkout dives over a weekend. hard gear rental including 2 tanks or air is 70 bucks for the weekend. If you buy your mask, boots, fins, and snorkel from us the price for the class is 249. Is the cost of your personal gear more than 150? Maybe depending on what you get but the fit is guaranteed and everything has a warranty. I but some things on line yes but they are usually things that don't require fitting and I'm not really worried about a warranty or getting service. Everything else I get locally.

What are you doing for a reg and BC. If your gear doesn't fit don't expect the shop instructor to go out of his or her way to make you cmftable. I'de get a better pair of fins but thats just me the Tusa Zooms may be good.

Check the gear reviews at www.scubadiving.com

In my opinion, better fit/comfort is more important than a better price. I would go into a local scuba shop and try on your equipment of interest. Then use the dot com price as a bargaining tool. You might be suprised how accomodating your local dive shop can be. Not every size fits the same. Also be sure to check the return/exchange policy of the place that you buy your equipment.
Good Luck!

H- the IslandCowgirl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom