what type of kick works with what type of fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do not want to start a split vs paddle debate...

but I just want to get the bottom-line on what type of kick works with a split-fin and a paddle fin?

what specific recreational diving situations give split fins or paddle fins a specific advantage/disadvantage?

While all kicks work with all fins to one degree or another, in general a shorter faster flutter kick seems to work best with split fins. With traditional fins there are several which work very well: Flutter, scissor, frog, sculling, and dolphin are the kicks I teach. Most of the time I either scull or use the scissor.

Originally posted by stokes

but I just want to get the bottom-line on what type of kick works with a split-fin and a paddle fin?

what specific recreational diving situations give split fins or paddle fins a specific advantage/disadvantage?

Split fins are useless for anything other than going forward.
stay away from them. Go with either turtle or yet fins, any kick will work with them, yes it is harder to move them through the water but they are much more versatile.

I currently use the Atomic split fins, and I have had very good experiences doing advanced kicks. Even frog kicks while wearing twin LP95's and drysuit.

I especially like the fact that when frog kicking, I can get a bit of a forward scull when moving my legs outward at the right ankle angle before the main power stroke when moving inward.

I'm still playing with other kicks to perfect my technique, but so far, the Atomics are living up to my (high) expectations.

Originally posted by sheck33
Split fins are useless for anything other than going forward.
stay away from them. Go with either turtle or yet fins, any kick will work with them, yes it is harder to move them through the water but they are much more versatile.

I use both Apollo Bios (primary) and Atomic Splits (classes) and I don't have a problem manuevering in any direction with them at all. As a photographer I need to be able to manuever well, sometimes in small degrees and in tight spaces. I can do thatbetter in splits than in blades.

I agree with others that frog kicks are more efficient with blade fins, it can also be don't with split fins with a lesser momentum achieved. With split fins, you make a smaller kick more with your knees than your hips, and you also use more ankle action. If you use those big powerful kicks you were taught to do in class, you will over power split fins. I suspect this is what happens when people report that splits are usless.

Originally posted by Dee

I use both Apollo Bios (primary) and Atomic Splits (classes) and I don't have a problem manuevering in any direction with them at all. As a photographer I need to be able to manuever well, sometimes in small degrees and in tight spaces. I can do thatbetter in splits than in blades.

I agree with others that frog kicks are more efficient with blade fins, it can also be don't with split fins with a lesser momentum achieved. With split fins, you make a smaller kick more with your knees than your hips, and you also use more ankle action. If you use those big powerful kicks you were taught to do in class, you will over power split fins. I suspect this is what happens when people report that splits are usless.

Yes, i agree that split fins are designed to be used with a smaller flutterkick. However using a big powerful kick with them will just not be very effective, i dont think you can 'over power' them.
Also of course it is a matter of personal preference. But i must say for myself that i have far more control and versatility with blade fins. It is interesting to see how a lot of divers are going back to the blade fins, remember those are the kind of fins used in the 70's and 80's to begin with.

are all about efficiency...the shorter kick that gives more push while using less energy/air. To each their own as far as preferences go, however.

I am just curious sheck, have you ever used split fins yourself at all?

I guess nobody noticed that part.

Originally posted by Narced
are all about efficiency...the shorter kick that gives more push while using less energy/air. To each their own as far as preferences go, however.

I am just curious sheck, have you ever used split fins yourself at all?

Hi Narced,

I started diving in '87 with blade fins, nothing else available at the time, i then switched to split fins which i used for about 3 years and now that i need to learn some more advanced kicks i have gone back to blade fins since i find it very difficult to do those kicks in split fins. So to answer your question, yes i have used split fins on about 200+ dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom