Fins for Navy SEALs/coast guard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
What are standard issue fins for Navy Seals or US Coast guard swimmers? I figure they want something quick on and off to get onto land. I noticed on scuba I don't need to kick very much and would prefer the convenience of easy in/out because I dive from a small inflatable, kayak or heavy surf so leaving fins on all the time both in and out of the water is prefered. Particularly, it would be nice to be able to run in the fins. I had a pair of force fins before and they worked out ok. I was wondering if shinfins.com would work?

If I need to cover ground, I have my freediving fins.

bober99:
What are standard issue fins for Navy Seals or US Coast guard swimmers? I figure they want something quick on and off to get onto land. I noticed on scuba I don't need to kick very much and would prefer the convenience of easy in/out because I dive from a small inflatable, kayak or heavy surf so leaving fins on all the time both in and out of the water is prefered. Particularly, it would be nice to be able to run in the fins. I had a pair of force fins before and they worked out ok. I was wondering if shinfins.com would work?

If I need to cover ground, I have my freediving fins.

As you know it depends on your billet and MOS. This past September the USA, USMC, and the USN special ops units all ordered Apollo bio-fins. Of course, they may have ordered other fins as well. The bio-fin pro is a great fin from a helicopter, Kyack, through surf. etc.

most still use the jets, proven timeless design

I don't think apollo fins would work well in surf. I have a pair of atomic splitfins and they're not made for walking, just waddling. Some of my free diving buddies will get up and walk backwards quickly and that usually works but I think it'd be cool to be able to get up and run for it or into surf. Jetfins work pretty well because they are curved up. if you keep your knees up and do a heel strike you can effectively run in them (well not too well but ok). Those fin fins seem even better...

When I observed the training taking place at the US Navy base in Panama City a couple of years ago, all the students were wearing Rockets. The instructors looked like a typical dive boat, they had some of everything.

We have a Coast Guard air station in town and the only fins i have seen the Rescue Swimmers use are Jet-fins.

The XXL Jet-fins seem like they were designed specifically to go over combat boots. I have yet to see a drysuit boot that is even close to being snug in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom