Glasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiffany

Reaction score
Diving with glasses?

So for those of us whose eyes are not "acceptable candidates" for contact lenses, is it possible to dive with regular glasses? It doesn't seem that possible considering my experience with a mask, but what did people do before contacts or without expensive prescription masks as occassional recreational divers?

Prescription lens mask.... Check your LDS and they can set you up...:wink:

My advice is this is the only way to go.....forget the other options.. Think about mask clearing with glasses underneath..not happening. Contact lenses..NOT!!

Trust me, save up the $$ and buy the lens for the mask...:D

Good luck!

Prescription lenses for masks are not that expensive. Mine were made by scuba optics, ground, bonded to the mask lens, and returned to me in less than 10 days. Prescription is better than any pair of glasses I have. Total cost 112.00 including tax and shipping.

Compare the money to get the lenses to the replacement of a pair of glasses, and the cost of the diving. I wouldn't want to be half way through a dive trip and out of luck because I lost a pair of glasses. It shouldn't be very expensive. Some shops will even have stock lenses in diopter values that can be close without needing a custom prescription made.

If you need single vision correction and don't have any serious astigmatism, you can use the lenses that are sold in the LDS. That's what I use. My exact eyeglass prescription is in my mask and it only cost $30 per lens and a special mask that holds them. Diopter correction is easy and exact.

If you need bifocal or serious astigmatism correction these won't work for you since they only correct diopter.

Look at your prescription. If you only have numbers in the first column (left and right eye) than you can use these. Depending on the level of astigmatism correction you may be able get by with them as well.

g'day fellas
i have a mask with prescripted lens on them, my LDS set them up and also gave me the orignal lens as well, how do i change the lens myself? or do i have to send it back?

kjpwong:
g'day fellas
i have a mask with prescripted lens on them, my LDS set them up and also gave me the orignal lens as well, how do i change the lens myself? or do i have to send it back?

How to change them depends a little on the mask, but basically, there is normally an outside plastic retaining ring with 4 little prongs that push into the mask frames 4 little holes. The trick is flexing the retaining ring in toward the center of the lens, starting on the longest side of the lens, and dislodge one of the prongs, then continue around. But there is no need to do this unless you go get your eyes fixed... so I wouldn't worry.

It's way too much a pain, and you risk breaking the retaining rings to swap back and forth.... so if you were thinking of lending your mask to people who don't need lenses by swapping back... I'd say buy another mask for that.

The Tusa Splendive IV is an excellent mask with swapable lenses. It is a great product at good price. Your LDS will have assorted diopter lenses to configure the mask to your prescription requirements.

stiffany:
Diving with glasses?

So for those of us whose eyes are not "acceptable candidates" for contact lenses, is it possible to dive with regular glasses? It doesn't seem that possible considering my experience with a mask, but what did people do before contacts or without expensive prescription masks as occassional recreational divers?
What people did before is irrelevant. Being able to see underwater is more than simply reading your gauges, its a safety issue when things go to hell. Being able to follow a line or discern the faint trace of a doorway in a silted out wreck, being able to see small details such as wires, cable or other obstacles that might foul on your gear, being able to see the monofilament fishing line that tangled on your fin or your weightbelt...all these things can mean the difference between a calm response and something much scarier to a task-loaded diver.

Spend the money to see well underwater.

It's worth it. :wink:

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom