Mask: Mold or Mystery Gunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a clear silicone mask and i noticed a buildup of stuff between the glass and the silicone skirt. at first i thought it was just debris and took the thing appart and gave it a good cleaning. Now, a few weeks later, its even worse than it was after a full year of use and only has about 20ish dives since the last cleaning. I'm absolutely sure its not stuff thats gotten in there from the water. Any ideas? Especially on how to clean it permanently?

steve

First -- do you use a commercial defogger or "old fashioned" spit?

Next - how are you cleaning it?

wetman once bubbled...
little bit of both actually. cleaning was just soap and water after everything was appart (lenses out, plastic off skirt etc)

A couple of recommendations...

Although spit is readily available (no kidding), I personally do not recommend it's use. Why? Simple it's a prime breeding ground for baterial growth! Would you want someone to spit in your eyes? I've helped clean out the rental masks from my LDS where I DM - all I can say is YUCK.

Cleaning -- use an antibacterial cleanser if you are using spit at anytime.

I'm sure others will pipe up with their recommendations, but those would be my starting points.

DivingGal once bubbled...

Although spit is readily available (no kidding), I personally do not recommend it's use. Why? Simple it's a prime breeding ground for baterial growth! Would you want someone to spit in your eyes? I've helped clean out the rental masks from my LDS where I DM - all I can say is YUCK.

Well no i wouldnt want anyone else to spit in my eyes :) but i am sure my body can handle it's own spit, i guess i am fine since i have been spitting in my mask for 15 years now and i havent gone blind yet :jester: My eyes cant stand this defog stuff in any case..

the "no tears" baby shampoo. A little goes a long way.

Has anyone tried using PSI 500 Mask Scrub from Innovative? I have a clear skirt on my mask and it's growing a nice little mold farm in it.

is NOT a good thing...

Some of my professional duties include fungal (aka mold) investigations, and depending on the types and quantities of mold present and the individual's sensitivity to them, there is a potential for medical complications.

If your mask is moldy, I would scrub it with a dilute chlorine bleach solution (25%), then a detergent wash (shampoo), rinse several times, and then dry it thoroughly.

If the mold remains or reoccurs, I'd toss the mask...your eyes are far too vaulable to risk exposure to the toxins and volatile organic compounds they produce.

My $0.02...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom