Apollo Bio-fins vs. Atomic Split fins vs. Tusa Xpert Zoom vs. S.pro Twin Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triton013

Reaction score
Of these four (4) fins mentioned, I just want everybody's personal feelings about them.

I actually got two (2) more fins in mind along with the mentioned titled fins, Aeris Velocity Duo vs. Oceanic V-12.

Me personally I own the Bio-fins and can't say enough good things about them. I've tried the Spilt fins and they are a no. 2 choice if I can't get my hands on the Bio-fins. Xpert Zooms, I didn't like the fact that they have a downward angle on them and just didn't feel to comfortable, plus I don't like closed foot pockets. Twin Jets are ok. Duo's never tried them yet. Would really like to one day. And the V-12's I tried them yesturday and felt like my ankles were being dragged. They are a little heavier than the Bio-fins. And they to have a closed foot pocket. Don't like that. My vote Bio-fins all the way.

I've tryed most of those and the ATOMIC Splits are by far the best. The OCeanic's are useless...

I have the Apollo Bio Fin XT's, with spring straps, and LOVE THEM.

I considered the ScubaPro's, but just liked the Apollo's better... the SPs seem kinda big and bulky. It was a close call between the Apollos and the Atomics, but since I wasn't able to try either in person, I was going by the tests. Apollo aces pretty much every single one of them. That clinched it for me. Plus the Apollos clearly win on durability.

triton013:
Of these four (4) fins mentioned, I just want everybody's personal feelings about them. .

I had tried the Bio fins in the pool back when I was first getting certified, however when it came time to upgrade from my original Mares Quatros, I opted for the Atomic Split fins, and haven't regreted it for a second. They're fantastic fins! They give me good speed when needed, and no leg cramps, which was a problem I often experienced with the Quatros. I also noticed that the low effort required to generate thrust helped me reduce my air consumption.

I have the bio's, x-pert zooms and the velocity duo's. Bio's are heavy feeling but swim well, also have wider fin pocket. X-pert zooms are lighter but hard to walk in because of the fin tilt also narrow fin pocket. Velocity duo's don't quite swim as well as the other two but are half the price. All three with spring straps. All three are good fins but all have their own purpose and down side. I would buy any of the three again. My two cents.

I recently bought the Atomic Split Fins and I absolutely love them. I went through the same thing you're going through trying to decide what to get and ended up testing the Apollo Bios and the Atomics. I found that the Atomics had a faster acceleration b/c of their size and the overall feel was a little better for me. The Apollo Bios were a great fin but I just didn't like the feel as much.

Kstnbike:
I recently bought the Atomic Split Fins and I absolutely love them. I went through the same thing you're going through trying to decide what to get and ended up testing the Apollo Bios and the Atomics. I found that the Atomics had a faster acceleration b/c of their size and the overall feel was a little better for me. The Apollo Bios were a great fin but I just didn't like the feel as much.

Kstnbike: You did not make a mistake buying the Atomic Split fins. They are great fins.
Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

For those who may prefer a bit more "feel" the all natural rubber Apollo bio-fin XT is a good choice to consider.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_XT.htm

The Xpert Zooms are, without question, my favorite fins underwater. I have borrowed the Atomics them for more than a couple of dives and definitely do not rate them as highly underwater.

That said, the Xpert Zooms are, without question, some of my least favorite fins on the surface. The pronounced bend in the fin means that when you are on the surface, your fins are constantly coming out of the water and slapping the surface on your downstroke which means resistance and inefficiency which means fatigue. If you snorkel, they'll piss you off. If you're cruising between sites and spot some dolphins, expect them to have been scared off by the other divers by the time you get close to them. Whenever I am snorkling or expect to spend any significant amount of time surface swimming, I borrow a beat up, torn pair of ancient entry level paddle fins from the equipment room and am much happier.

Back
Top Bottom