first dive with Apollo Bio fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelikinBob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I had my first openwater (drysuit) dive using my biofins with springs. This is what I have to say about them. Entry was easy and quick, no hassels due to the springs, while my dive buddy took about 2 min each to get his fins on.
While diving, I did not feel like they were "Mushy" as some have claimed. They do have a feel to them. After experimenting with my kicking which needed to be slightly adjusted from the standard jetfins kicking i was trained on, I found a rhythem and also found my buddies lagging behind. Even with the added drag from a drysuit these still worked out great.
My buddies fins were Scubapro twinjets (split) and Oceanic something or other (paddle)

I did alot of research before buying, and asked many questions here, thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction!
also I bought these from scubatoys because Larry wrote " I guarentee youll like them, and if you dont Ill take them back and give you your money back"
well Larry, These fins are Mine, thanks!
Also, I got yellow, and its a good thing, I could not see my buddies (wearing all black) and they could all see me ( or my fins rather) in the low visibility....something to think about.
Bob

SPeaking of adjusting from Jet fins, I actually am able to helipcopter with the bio fins, which is not what I thought I'd be able to do when I first borrowed a set from a friend mid-dive.

The frog kick works with my bio's, but not for going distances - more for adjustments and lazy maneuvering along a reef.

For a single tank, though, the small, fast flutter's efficiency and speed is unbelievable.

We just tested out my bio fins on a diver with twin HP100's this morning. He thought that the fins just didn't work with the ~100 pounds he was trying to move. Watching him, I agree, the bio fins didn't have the backbone to turn that much of a load, so any needed adjustments past kicking in a straight line brought misery. We eventually switched fins again. Your yellows might work better for such loads.

I was wearing a steel LP120 at the time (a heay water heater of a tank), and IMO they did have enough for that tank.

Yesterday I did four separate shore dives with them (one a quasi-emergency to try to locate a $2000 camera lost on the bottom somewhere in the Atlantic ocean). I'm positive I could not have kicked, and subsequently got around, that much in one day (three shore dives by noon) with any standard fin, nor my Rocket fins, and I'm in relatively good shape.

I'm glad I went for the regular bio-fins, but I'd like to try a set of doubles and the Apollo XT's to see if that system would work.

Best,

MD

You know, around the shop, I see some people rave about their ScubaPro jet fins and the Apollo bio-fins. I personally like my jets, but a co-worker swears by the bios. I,ve never heard a bad thing about them either.

The best of luck to you,
FalloutMan

Love mine. Did the rocket fin thing for a very little while, then borrowed my instructor's biofins. The next day, I had ordered a pair. My LDS (which is a fantastic outfit) credited me the price of the rockets.

I dive them in a dry suit with steel tanks. I've dove them with a single HP120, LP100, LP80, and LP72. I've never done doubles in them, and don't have any idea how they'd perform (although other people I dive with swear by them for all configurations).

Love 'em.

Mambo Dave:
I'm glad I went for the regular bio-fins, but I'd like to try a set of doubles and the Apollo XT's to see if that system would work.
I'll let you know when I finally get around to putting together some doubles. I have the XTs and dive a single HP100, which I intend to double by the end of the year.

LOVE the bio fins. Can't say enough good about them. And I have definitely noticed the "lagging buddy" syndrome, when diving with a buddies wearing paddle fins. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom